my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

9.17.2006

The Family of Philip IV or Las Meninas

My love of this painting goes back to afternoons spent in a dark auditorium at the University of Michigan, where I took my first art history survey course.

Surrounded by snoring freshman boys. Who mistakenly thought this would be easy.

What I love most is the painting within a painting ... the artist's inclusion of himself in the scene in the mirror at the back ... and the incredible self-possession of the Infanta, the little princess. As she calmly looks you straight in the eye.

And who ARE you? The painter reflected in the mirror? Or someone altogether different?


painting by Diego Velazquez (1599-1660)

4 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

EEEE! One of my favorite paintings! Not for the actual painting so much as the approach to the painting. The way he involved the children and their attendants as well as himself into the canvas.

But as to your question: ach, I've no idea! I don't think many folks do. What a heady question, really! You were born with a philosophical soul: "I wonder..."

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm the dog in front.

8:37 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Same place, same class, same painting, different year. Those boys who thought art history would be easy were indeed wrong. I'm glad you reminded us who the painter was because I never would have remembered. Gak.

9:36 AM

 
Blogger puppytoes said...

uh...er....i kind of skipped out on the whole art appreciation thing, and threw myself into music/theater, instead. (i know, i have no class) *hangs head in shame*

who am i? good question! xox neva

3:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home