my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

9.10.2006

9/11

This week, as we approach the fifth anniversary of 9/11, Doug's thoughtful political blog Prattler explores U.S. policy re interrogation and trials of those imprisoned in the War on Terror, in a piece called Reliable and Probative.

I know better than to quote scripture, but the spirit moved me ... and because blogger couldn't stop me, this was my response to Doug's post:

"'What benefit will it be to you if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?' (Mark 8:36) In this case, we stand to lose the whole world, as we strive toward loss of our own soul.

We have given up so much moral ground at Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo (I wish people would stop being so jaunty with the Gitmo nomer, trying to make it sound like a kids' camp), secret prisons, and God knows what else.

I used to be so angry at this. Now I'm sad and ashamed.


I love this country. I hope it can right itself. And protect itself. And be what we have always believed ourselves to be: a free people, noble and generous and moral in their freedom."

This is true, but there's more to my reaction to 9/11 than this.

I am so sorry.

Sorry for the 3000 who lost their lives. Sorry for their families, those who loved them and had to continue on without them.

Sorry that our reflexive reactions to protect ourself as a nation have led us to isolate ourselves from much of the rest of the world, and have polarized us internally (although there are signs that we are coming together in antipathy against a war we're currently losing).

Sorry that we haven't yet learned what we need to do to heal hatred ... within us, and aimed at us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm sorry you aren't President. I think we should try sweet, thoughtful and well-scented just as an experiment.

9:32 AM

 
Blogger G said...

Mirielle, I think I can handle your infinite nature. Very nicely done.

9:57 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Say M, I thought you might like this: 2,996 Blog. I like that the emphasis was on their lives, and remembering the victims as individuals with faces. Dunno, it just seems like a nice break from all the rah-rah speechifying from the politicians this week, you know?

2:12 PM

 
Blogger Minka said...

sometimes, someone comes along that speaks your mind better than you can word it yourself. You did that for me today.
I appreciate your ability to view from different angles.

8:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home