my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

3.04.2006

Group Presentation

Ok, I have two Krispy Kremes under my belt, two slurps of my latte and I'm heading down the home lap of homework, forever. I hope. But then, I said that in '74.

*Never say never*

But first let me talk about group presentations. Only because the other three members of my group do not now, and never will, have this blog address, can I have a full and frank discussion with you about HOW VERY AMAZING THEY ARE.

Psychologically, we run the full gamut. A is passive, passive, passive. B is passive aggressive (always a favorite). C is aggressive and ambitious but "too busy" to do the groupwork. D is aggressive and ambitious and old and wily.

You can just imagine the funfest that was our online collaboration last night. And the cold sweat I broke into as I argued C to the mat over who was going to present their @#$% side first in the little lawsuit we're arguing. And the terminology. And the attempt to baffle me with bull$hit because she could not dazzle me with the bright white light of her intellect. So why was I sweating?

Because I hate conflict. But I will never back away from it. It is the strangest thing, an inheritance from the many "intellectual" brawls that constituted dinner table conversation in my family.

My anti-intellectual mother, my pseudo-intellectual stepfather, my passive brother ...

Oh dear God, I've just realized something. My group recreates the pathology of my family of origin.

No wonder I'm sweating.

Wish me luck. It's Tuesday night.

10 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Luck! But you don't need it. You've got smarts!

Funny post.

11:08 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

LOL! I recognize this kind of situation and I too learned to argue over the dinner table, in the bedroom, in the kitchen, in front of the TV, everywhere... my parents argued all the time. I never back away from conflict either, but it's quite possible that, unlike you, I stand there and wait for it to happen, or even create it sometimes.

As TLP says, you don't need luck, but it can't do any harm to have some, so 'Good Luck!'. Mwah!

11:24 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Best of luck to you M!

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Mimey said...

My dearest buddy had something similar, and probably still does but has stopped complaining. Post-grad conferences involving one hard working and inspired individual and a bunch of a%$*&^%s. I think the skill is in co-operating, surviving the ordeal with dignity. It's not what you say, perhaps, but how you say it while giving the appearance of letting others have their say too. Good luck, nonetheless x

3:30 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Go get them M! I'm not one for conflict either and avoid it all costs...just don't have it in me most of the time. Will stand my ground when needed however!

6:05 PM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

Sic 'em, girl!
And the very best of luck to you, to match with your hard work and dedication.

9:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarry isn't it, that we always seem to recreate our families. Break a leg sweetie!

7:01 AM

 
Blogger Annieytown said...

Good Luck M! You will do fantastic!

7:52 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

Good luck! And, have a great week, Mireille.

1:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best wishes you wily old fox!

5:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home