my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

2.23.2006

I Love My Dog

edit: all the below is still true although I woke up this morning to find that in the middle of the night, when it was snowing, when he was supposedly outside relieving himself (he couldn't have been out there more than 15 minutes), Bucky made time to make a nest in my daffodils and sweetpea sprouts, which have already been dealing with freezing weather. The sweetpeas are pretty much toast. The daffodils have a fighting chance. If they fight. but ...

I love his big self. His furry flanks. His fluffy ruff. His significant rump. His totality of a tail.

I love burying my face in his side when he's stretched out. When he growls low, his dog purr.

Also he sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed.

I love when he plays hand. He makes a big show of baring his teeth and taking my whole hand in his mouth. And closing his jaw gently down on it. And then quickly releasing it and kissing me. And sometimes after I've brushed him, he grooms me back with tiny, soft repetitive bites.

When he and Jim pick me up from school, he grins and wags his tail and hands me the paw.

He's been my dog for nearly two years of his eight year life ... we are so lucky to have him.

I love my dog.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lila said...

He's da good boy! We wuv you! Good doggie woggie doggie! *pat, pat, pat*

8:01 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

awwww, this post brought a tear to my eye! They are such good friends aren't they?

♥ Bucky
♥ M

9:25 PM

 
Blogger Minka said...

Beuatiful dog. I always had a dog when I was a kid. Until recently I had a boyfirend allergic to cat and dog hair. Now we have split and I am thinking...maybe...but it takes serious preparation. But I would love to have a dog again!

5:07 AM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Said so well! Wag wag! We love Bucky, too!

5:26 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Oh, I love this post! :-)

I love my own doggie too. She's just the perfect dog for me: someone who has always ('til now) been a "cat person". This dog is just right, she's the baby-bear's porridge of a dog.

Dave always says how much she is like me and I always say "I know! She's like me in a dog form!" She's my pal. :-)

9:56 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

OMG-I'm just laughing out loud at your update!! The big galoot!

10:52 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Awww....such a sweet, sweet post! Dogs are lovers!

12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They just get in there are curl up in a corner of your soul, don't they?
Even with the flower destruction, etc. etc. etc.
I know just how you feel.

7:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cats and dogs - they both the same. Unconditional love 24/7. Now who wouldn't want that?

5:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home