my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.23.2005

The Holiday for the Rest of Us!

With non-denominational fervor and the help of Wikipedia, I bring you all the info you need to know to celebrate "A Festivus for the rest of us!" traditionally held December 23! Today!

Originating with the Seinfeld show -- Frank Costanza, its founder (not George) explains how it came to be:

Frank Costanza: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
Cosmo Kramer: What happened to the doll?
Frank Costanza: It was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born . . . a Festivus for the rest of us!
Cosmo Kramer: That must've been some kind of doll.
Frank Costanza: She was.

Some holiday features:

The Festivus Pole: The Costanzas' tradition begins with a bare aluminum pole, which Frank praises for its "very high strength-to-weight ratio." During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed. The pole was chosen apparently in opposition to the commercialization of highly decorated Christmas trees, because it is "very low-maintenance," and also because the holiday's patron, Frank Costanza, "find[s] tinsel distracting."

Festivus Dinner: The Festivus dinner menu is flexible, but it should consist of filling, non-holiday comfort food (no turkey, duck, goose, or ham). The televised dinner featured what may have been meatloaf or spaghetti in a red sauce. (Presumably, an entree in a red sauce is more festive.) Kruger took a flask out from his jacket and took a swig; so one might interpret that
drinking is optional.

A FESTIVUS HIGHLIGHT: The Airing of Grievances: At the Festivus dinner, each participant tells friends and family of all the instances where they disappointed him or her that year.

and ...

The Feats of Strength: The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head's choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned to the ground. A participant is allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.

May you quickly pin the parent to the ground! Have a wonderful Festivus!

9 Comments:

Blogger the many Bs said...

I like it! It sounds like a great way to celebrate the second day before christmas!!!

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

We are not strict Festivus observers here but have always enjoyed the season and frequently indulge in the airing of grievances as a way to keep the festivus spirit throughout the year.
Happy Festivus!

12:12 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

I love this Seinfeld episode! One of the best. Happy everything.

1:17 PM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

What Ariella said. We indulge frequently too. Also, now that I am a parent I no longer wholeheartedly endorse the pinning of the parent to the floor. We get enough of that the rest of the year too.

Wishing you & yours a wonderful holiday, M.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I can relate to that! :-)

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy Festivus, Mireille.

xoxo

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Right back at you!
I'm sure that I'm one of the only people who never saw this Seinfeld episode.

6:42 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Aw thanks for the picture, too - that is going to make a first rate gift tag once I print it out, heh.

8:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a happy festivus to you. And Christmas and Hanukah and New Year's to be and every other holiday I can't think of right now. I say "mwah" but you do it so much better then I do so I'll just say hugs!

7:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home