my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.19.2005

Christmas Memory

I was talking to a friend about midwestern winters -- the kind with the hip-deep snow -- and I realized how much I miss them and don't miss them.

The most traditional kind of Christmas I can ever remember -- and I'm sure I'm making at least some of this up -- was in Sweetser, Indiana. This New Yorker illustration is an idealized version of that small town's main, and only, street.

It was the kind of town where everybody knew everybody and their dog. Our beagle had scars on his rear from the vet digging buckshot out of him for messing with some farmer's chickens. Nice guy. The beagle carried some of those pellets for the rest of his life. (Moral: don't get too caught up in how wonderful rural American life can be.)

But the town under a heavy blanket of snow, especially at night, was beautiful. And there were tall trees with icicles like tinsel ... and standing firs layered with that thick coat of white ... all gleaming clean under moonlight.

I like that Christmas memory. I'm going to keep it.

Fragrance of the day: Every once in a while I just want to be femme. And, thanks to c, I feel very pretty in Sublime by Patou (creators of the classic Joy fragrance). I've come to realize that most often my likes in the floral palette are pretty limited. I like rose. I like jasmine. I like jasmine and rose. Sublime meets these criteria! That plus amber and musk! This is the edt, which may explain why it is so comparatively soft compared to the knock them down and drag them out seduction of Joy. Really, it suits me better. I so rarely knock a man down and drag him out. *darn* Addendum: apparently the notes are more complicated than I thought. They also include citrus (don't smell it) and ylang-ylang (well, maybe a little) and sandalwood (yes, in drydown, I do get this). Still like it a lot.

Best Last Words Department:
"Everybody has got to die, but I have always believed an exception would be made in my case. Now what?"
William Saroyan (1908-1981), American novelist

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid I really wanted a white Christmas. There were a few, most spent in Idaho at my grandparents' house (double-wide trailer). I enjoyed building igloos and filling my grandfathers underpants with a snow man... but there was also a lot of cursing at the car stuck in the snow, and wet feet, and other stressful things that come with snow. I did get to wear my purple cabbage patch moon boots though. Big bonus!

For the most part I've had a lot of green Christmases and now gray Christmases... as long as there are lights and a fire inside and family it's a sucessful Christmas in my book.

1:00 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Sounds like a beautiful memory!

3:33 AM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

That last paragraph was a killer!

4:06 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

i like your memory too - can i adopt it as my memory of christmas?

it never real snows in london and if it does, it melts pronto

boo hoo

UC x

4:48 AM

 
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Loved it! I guess such winters and Christmases are ideal if you get to enjoy it from a nice and cozy warm spot! May you have a nice and cozy Christmas in Seattle Mme. Mireille!

5:56 AM

 
Blogger cjblue said...

Beautiful memory! DH grew up in a tiny town in NE Montana and occasionally waxes nostalgic. Nice for waxing, but I am not made for that kind of life and he knows it. Plus, I don't think he wants me around all those cowboys...

As I read all these last words quotes, I am coming to realize that I will never have any good last words. Because if I wanted to, I'd have to say something really great - something I'd been working on for a long time and saving for just that occasion...and then shut up. Which clearly I am not capable of. Although I have been designated the eulogy writer in our family - everybody thinks I write the best eulogies. So I may just write my own and have my last words anyway.

I am hoping for a warm and wonderful christmas/hanukkah in our home and yours, white or otherwise.

7:43 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

A small-town Christmas is a wonder, just so long as you don't get shot in the butt by a chicken farmer.

7:48 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Neko ... and I hear it will be a PNW Christmas this year!

TLP ... it was. And I don't have too many good Indiana memories so I should cherish this one, huh?

T&I ... awww, thanks. and hope the kwanzaa recipe was ok. xoxo

UC ... so, does Scotland have any more snow?

mizB ... thank you! And I hope your Spanish holiday is festive!

R ... will you write my eulogy?

D ... you're right. Those butt-shooting farmers ruin everything.

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only known the Christmases that God wrapped up in green myself.
Either in the Northwest or in Italy or Greece. Actually, I think we did have a white Christmas once, a long while back, but I like them this way.
Great last words!

6:18 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Johnny Damon is going to be a Yankee next year. :-(

8:31 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

I just saw. So sad. xoxo

9:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mireille, it will indeed be a PNW Christmas for me. My dad used his frequent flyer miles to buy me a ticket home. Three days and I'm outta here.

9:23 PM

 
Blogger Lulu said...

I'm in London too and we only ever have wet Christmases. My mum's street in the suburbs has rather a competitive streak in house lights, though, so it's still very festive.

5:51 AM

 
Blogger Sar said...

I remember snow being a time of socialization back in NJ. Everyone would come out to help each other shovel and play with the kids in the snow. Much to my daughter's sadness, we don't get that much snow here in VA, and it's not looking likely she'll get the white Christmas she's been hoping for.

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

My comment was consumed by blogger once again!
I thought that the name Sweetster, Indiana was the best name ever.
(I am adding that the farmers conduct however was anything but)
And feared that I also would be lacking "last words" as I keep my portrait in the closet like Dorian Gray.

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Sublime was much much too sweet and heady on me. :-(

Not much snow in Nice. Not much snow in Paris or London. I've never lived anywhere that had a lot of snow. Don't really miss it.

Great last words!

8:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home