my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.16.2005

Angels On High

And it's such a clear, cold full moon night in Seattle, you should be able to see them.

Our tree is upright in the living room, not yet decorated ... and the scent fills two rooms.

Wonderful smell-of-the-pine-woods that reminds of so many Christmases past.

Tomorrow we decorate the tree, I need to address cards, I get to bake thumbprint cookies and russian teacakes and maybe another batch of frosted Christmas cookies. The Patriots are on TV tomorrow morning, Jim is happy, Bucky is happy, I am happy.

This holiday is a good one for me, and I am truly grateful.

Today's fragrance: Thanks to Annie, I'm trying Caron's Coup De Fouet ("Crack the Whip"), the edt version of the Poivre urn fragrance. Maller has compared it to DSH's Oeillets Rouges, and other reviewers have noted that it is perhaps a more wearable version of the Poivre. I don't know about that, but I know I LOVE this ... a geranium rosa base, with rose and carnation and clove and pepper and ... yum. Spicy, but a dry spicy. Nothing sweet that I can tell. It's perfect.


Best Last Words Department:
"Waiting are they? Waiting are they? Well--let 'em wait."
Ethan Allen (1738-1789) on his deathbed, when told angels were waiting for him.

New Yorker cover illustration by Steig

7 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

The main reason my kids love the tree is for the smell. They don't like the decorating part so much, but they'll put up with it for the nice scent.

7:02 AM

 
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Seattle... I lived in Kirkland once, for almost a year, and graduated from Juanita High... I didn't like Kirkland too much but Seattle was fun.

A perfume expert! I am impressed. I have never found any that smelled just the way I like it until I stumbled upon Zaharoff. Now I am a one-perfume girl!

8:21 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Great last words! Now, if someone says that to me when I'm dying, I'm all set with my reply.

Have fun decorating the tree. Mine's up, decorated and lookin' good. But I'm behind on anything FOOD.

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I think that all of you with trees should have to take pictures and post once decorated.

You will get a kick out of this M, but I use the Annick Goutal, Noël, in order to re-create the smell of a tree. Gotta do what I gotta do!

12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tree sap



delicious



must have


more




~c

2:37 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

aww, C. You miss Twin Peaks, huh? ♥ xoxo

3:55 PM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

Love the tree, Ariella likes to chew on the tree...sigh
But there is NOTHING like going to the tree farm and picking it out and making Mr Logo get down in the mud to saw it down and then strap it to the roof and then set it up and get it straight, "No, a little bit back to the right."
Good times, good times.

8:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home