my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.11.2005

Adventures with NellyRodi, continued

Today's fragrances are NellyRodi Parfum 5 Gingembre by perfumer Richard Ibanez of ROBERTET with notes of Grapefruit, Saffron, Baie rose, Muscade, Ginger, Incense, Patchouli, Vanilla and Amber

and

Parfum 6 Bois by perfumer Amandine Marie of ROBERTET with ingredients of Cardamome, Caraway, Clove, Birch, Patchouli, Leather, Cedar, Vetiver, Santal, Amber, Musk

Before I put on the Gingembre, I get all comfortable with the idea of ... ginger! What do I get? FRUIT! I really dislike fruit in fragrance. I believe it is the root cause of all cheap-smellingness, fruit. And the note in this fragrance is not distinguishable to grapefruit, which if it had been at its acidic best, say as in a Calyx or, I understand, Pampelune, might have been interesting. This is more of a grape-likeness, or a sweet currant. For two hours: grape koolaid. I forebore getting out the Dawn and attempting to wash it off. Hours later -- and most of these perfumes do get points for their staying power -- there's a faint whiff of patchouli. I never discerned the notes that would have been most appealing to me: Saffron, Incense, Vanilla and Amber. I'd say no to Gingembre. Someone who likes sweet fruit will disagree.

Bois? Lovely from the beginning. You get what you're expecting. Perhaps the only surprise is the deftness with which the perfumer has woven these notes together. And you know they're all there, if not clamoring for attention. There are no harsh collisions ... just an orderly procession of dark spices, cedar and santal. Not exceedingly dry, but not sweet at all. Really a perfect winter fragrance.

Of the six NellyRodi scents I've tried, the two I've liked have been Rhum and Bois, both by Robertet. Both the type of scent you want to gnaw off your arm. It is really apparent that different perfumers, different houses are responsible for this collection -- there is such a love/hate disparity in their appeal.

NellyRodi scores:
MANE = 0 for 2
ROBERTET = 2 for 3
SYMRISE = 0 for 1

Robertet's looking good. Now, on to Rose and Ambre... and who knew Brenda Starr was a perfumista?

8 Comments:

Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I love the idea of the set more than I actually loved the set itself -- the small bottles, the fairly reasonable price, the fact that they give you the name of the nose & a fairly complete list of the notes for each. Hope NellyRodi will do a set on another fragrance family, preferably one I like more than Oriental :-)

10:22 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Yes. that would be perfect. seems like they must have used response to the test set as market research ... and, of course, we must be in the majority. heh. xoxo

10:58 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

I don't know much about scents, but I do remember reading Brenda Starr in the sunday comics some forty years ago. (Am I that old, really?)

11:39 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Naw, Fred. Not really. xoxo

11:42 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Fruit is not to blame, I am sure! It is just how folks usuallly employ fruit that causes all to go awry. Did I include a sample of Jeanne Arthes' Cassandra Blanc? It's a charming little thing, and it uses fruit as an ambrosia to the wood in a pleasing, albeit unintellectual, manner. I'm sure there are others that do fruit well, but that is the first one that comes to mind as an unabashedly fruity frag I love to wear.

I am still loving the scoring mechanism, it's so sporting of you (hyuk-hyuk) to give us the low down that way.

5:34 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Katie! You're a ... a ... a fruit defender!!! xoxo

8:57 PM

 
Blogger Trina said...

Even when you're trashing a fragrance (poor lil Gingembre!) you somehow make me want to try it! Of course, I *do* love a fruity fragrance done right (can we say BdP???)! And I, too, am a fan of Dawn as a perfume-remover :~D

8:58 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

A fruit defender, hee. I fought the fruit, and the fruit won.

6:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home