my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.06.2005

Beauty Everywhere

To see a World in a Grain of Sand/
And A Heaven in a Wild Flower/
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand/
And Eternity in an Hour.
William Blake

Auguries of Innocence
(c.1800 - 1803)

Today's fragrances:

on our left hand, we have NellyRodi Parfum 1: INCENSE by perfumer Alexis Dadier of MANE with notes of Rosemary, Cinnamon, Noix de Muscade, Incense, Styrax, Rose, Vanilla, Santal.

and on our right hand ... NellyRodi Parfum 2: RHUM by perfumer Olivia Jan of ROBERTET with notes of Rhum, Saffron, Muscade, Styrax, Patchouli, Papyrus, Gaïac, Santal, Vanilla.

#1: I'm an incense fan but I swear the rosemary drags Incense into the food netherworld ... I smell Rachel Ray leaping from behind a (rosemary) bush on this one, with all her preternatural perkiness and desire to make soup. Once that rosemary evaporates, though, I think this will be a nice, serious, absolutely non-sweet (despite the vanilla) fragrance. But since I prefer a sweeter incense, meh. And if there is rose in this, it's well hidden.

#2 The Rhum scent is a wonderful surprise. I really like it and I can scent the saffron right away, always a plus. And I like patchouli, when it plays well with others as it's doing here. This will still be serious scent -- but festive somehow. I really am not sure what rum is supposed to smell like, but there's a sharp -- maybe liqueur-ish -- way about this that's not unpleasant. The vanilla is peeking through, as is the sandalwood. Nice.

So far, that's MANE = 0 for 2 and ROBERTET = 1.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just too beautiful. And oooh, I love Blake so much.

3:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, that's me.
janey
http://janeysjourney.com

3:09 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

Pretty darned good.

6:49 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

hey that is beautiful, ms insomniac


UC

7:12 AM

 
Blogger cjblue said...

Gorgeous, M. Thank you for another beautiful post.

7:20 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Still brilliant words after all these years.

8:31 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Absolutely, TLP. Can you imagine if he'd lived?

Nice picture too, Mireille.

11:44 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Am I crazy, or did you use that image before, a long time ago?

I *so* agree on the incense. Way, way too much rosemary.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

You're not crazy, R. Remember the pap smear with the arrowroot contaminant. *I still think it's one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen* xoxoxo

1:40 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Great insights into these, and you have got me awful curious now about the Rhum.

But it's the scoring at the end I'm loving. Weirdly, I'd love to see a box score method of comparing fragrances now.

1:44 PM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Ah yes, the pap smear!! Glad I'm not insane.

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

One of my favorites from Blake, M. :)

5:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home