my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.01.2005

Youth Dew's Most Modern Daughter: Amber Nude

From the land of the big cities, where Tom Ford wears his artful stubble and his crisp white shirt unbuttoned just so, comes Youth Dew Amber Nude.

Every woman of a certain age remembers the almost sugary sweetness of the original Youth Dew, that fragrance of sock hops and beehives with the ribbon clip in back ... and most of us have tried very hard to forget it.

*Although, I gotta tell ya: the scent has a weird attraction to me even now. Yes, I know it doesn't have a subtle molecule in its bottle, and you can smell it coming a mile away ... I still kind of like it.*

But now, thanks to the wisdom and marketing acumen of the Estee Lauder cosmeticonglomerate, we have the next generation of Youth Dew: Amber Nude.

And darned if I don't like it, too.

Opening our Now Smell This bibles to the correct page, we find "a lightly spicy oriental scent that pays homage to the original Youth Dew but throws in a smattering of modern notes (bare skin accord, fresh tea, ginger, chocolate). It is considerably lighter and softer than Youth Dew, but it isn't a sheer perfume by any means."

Robin says she couldn't go all the way with Amber Nude because she doesn't like amber ... since I love amber, it would have been that &*^% chocolate note that turned me cold. But, happily, it didn't. I don't discern chocolate at all ... although I can parse a bit of the ginger and tea, and I like where they're planted in the scent.

So, Trina (of MyLifeMyWordsMyMind), thanks for the lemming ... I have neatly filed it in the As, for amber. Another amber lemming, just what I needed. *mwah*

In a separate and unrelated note: Rabbit! Rabbit!

9 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Wow! I am so in awe of your nose.

Don't laugh. I mean that.

8:27 AM

 
Blogger Trina said...

Always happy to oblige ;~D

8:54 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

LOL -- perhaps Tom will give me another chance to go all the way soon enough. My prediction is that we make it by the end of 2006 ;-)

10:58 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Heh, I always love your choice of words: "go all the way."

What is "Rabbit!Rabbit!"?

1:39 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

K -- rabbit, rabbit is a pezfamily tradition: every first of the month, include "rabbit, rabbit" in your blog for goodluck! xoxo

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Fred said...

What can I say? Oh - rabbit! Rabbit!

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Rabbit, rabbit!

Mireille, you always make me wish I could smell.

8:44 PM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Sniff sniff

11:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really thought a person who goes by the name of "maller" was married to Mr. Ford.

I did.


And then I saw Tom Ford in the New Yorker I salvaged from the PO garbage...and I laughed my head off . There was Tom Ford. It was Mr. Maller.

I want to try this scent. I love the stupid bottle that looks the same as always.

~c

5:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home