my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.04.2005

It's *Almost* The Season

I've beaten my brains out all day over civil procedures and legal ethics, and I want something fun!

Although our halls aren't decked yet (someone in this family doesn't think it's appropriate until mid-month ... although frosted Christmas cookies are somehow acceptable at any time), I want to feel festive!

So, slap on some more silver eyeliner and here's a beautiful tree!

Today's fragrance: Nelly Rodi Parfum 3: CARDAMOME
Perfumer: Fabrice Pellegrin/MANE
Ingredients: Cardamome, Cedar

It's hard to find information about Fabrice Pelligrin ... but in what I could dredge up about his company, he is not a lone artist, sitting at the perfumer's organ, hand sorting scents which he tests with his very own nose.

MANE is a fragrance technology firm which has "developed their own proprietary technology to capture the molecules emitted by parts of botanical species [isn't this headspace?] while respecting their environment. This non-destructive extraction technique coupled with modern analytical tools have lead to the identification of high odor value molecules with low detection threshold, thus enabling the design of breakthrough olfactive accords such as the 'marine accord' which paved the way to modern perfumery in the late 1980's throughout the last decade of the 20th century."

So, for those of you who hate the marine accord, here's who you have to thank.

Cardamome, the third fragrance in the Nelly Rodi collection, smells pretty much like wood to me ... although there may be high odor value molecules with low thresholds wafting around and I don't even know it.

I must be missing something, because this seems like an extremely simplistic rendition of what Tam Dao, CC10 and many others do in so much more complicated, and beautiful, a fashion.

It's pleasant ... but I shouldn't have read all the technology stuff. I really dislike that aspect of perfumery and I'm afraid that I'm letting that information shape what I'm smelling here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

When we go outside we FEEL the season! Brrrrrr woof!

9:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got the Nelly Rodi set?!?!?!

Wha? We are simply NOT keeping in touch.


And hoping you breeze through finals week.

~clearing

6:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and...Love that tree! Want it for myself.

~c

7:57 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Wonder what I would look like in silver eyeliner. MMmmmm...

Nice picture. I love Christmas decorations.

10:39 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

that tree is beautiful

think it'd fit into my living room?

:-)


UC

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home