my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

11.22.2005

Thanksgiving

Inspired by Franklin Roosevelt's 1941 State of the Union "Four Freedoms" speech, Norman Rockwell created these four paintings: Freedom from Fear ... Freedom from Want ... Freedom to Worship ... Freedom of Speech.

It's good to be reminded of how much we have ... and how much some sacrifice in our name.

I'm grateful for these freedoms and for all the young men and women serving on our behalf in Afghanistan and Iraq during this holiday season. I hope they'll be home next year.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Today's fragrance: I am also grateful for DSH Cimabue. Get a load of the notes (literally). How could you not love it? PLUS it has saffron! Top notes: Bergamot, Bitter Orange, Cardamom Seed, Clementine, Italian Neroli, Lemon, Nutmeg. Middle notes: Carnation Absolute, Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Grandiflorum Jasmine, Honey Beeswax, Moroccan Rose Absolute, Mysore Sandalwood, Saffron absolute, Tuberose Absolute. Base notes: Ciste Absolute, East Indian Sandalwood, Labdanum, Oppopanax, Siam Benzoin, Tahitian Vanilla, Tamil Nadu Sandalwood, Vanilla Absolute.

10 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

we (in the developed world) have so much to be thankful for, so, despite the fact that we don't have the opportunity of a thanksgiving celebration over here, i am equally full of gratitude for the things we have

happy thanksgiving to you and yours, M!


UC

2:11 AM

 
Blogger Lulu said...

Freedoms - by definition absences of oppression - are the easiest thing in the world to overlook and take for granted. Thanks for the reminder and Happy Thanksgiving.

5:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankful too! There is so much (I don't mean stuff) that I've been given in this life, in this country....simply handed to me.

I adore Norman Rockwell's works. I had an Art teacher in college who taught us that the works of Rockwell are not to be considered "art" but instead they are "illustrations" and Norman was only an "Illustrator". It was somehow conveyed as demeaning. I still don't draw that line. I refuse to. This is ART because it touches me in the Art Spot of my soul.

Thank you for these thoughts and pictures.

XXX

~C

6:44 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

♥ Happy Thanksgiving to you all! ♥

7:40 AM

 
Blogger cjblue said...

Thank you for your thoughts this Thanksgiving. I hope yours is warm and wonderful and full of love.

Cimabue...wow, that's a lot of notes! I have yet to find a DSH that really works on me, alas.


R

11:27 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweet M.

xoxox
♥ ♥ ♥

12:50 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mireille.

2:02 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Just dropped in to say Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jim.

4:03 PM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Have a great holiday, M! Got to get my hands on Cimabue one of these days :-)

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Fred said...

Great reminders.

9:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home