my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.23.2005

MetroSexual ... MachoSexual ...

Usually I'm attracted to anything I can analyze and anything that has sexual in the title, but this may be the exception.

Lately there've been attempts at delineating, defining the heterosexual male. (Homosexual males get a surfeit of how, why, when, where. They must be sick of it.)

But heterosexual males have generally kept a very quiet profile (about who they are). (I mean, other than being the dominant force in our culture.) I like that low-key approach.

UrbanDictionary does provide a number of definitions for the recent MetroSexual Male phenomenon. #6: "a normally straight male who possesses qualities of a gay male without being attracted to men. A metro often appreciates the finer things in life and enjoys making himself look good; be it through styling his hair or wearing fashionable clothes."

Another heterosexual male subset: MachoSexual. Wikipedia does not yet have a definition for MachoSexual (feel free to add your own) but I assume it is the regular heterosexual type of guy.


When regular guy (read: Jim) is asked whether he regards himself as machosexual, he says, "I regard myself as a Patriots' fan."

Some things can be overanalyzed and this is one of them.

For some reason, I like men to stay a secret. They've been a mystery to me since I realized they were basically very different from my kind, women.

But they seem to be creatures of tangibility, they like solid things ... things that appear as they are. Skip the subtext.


And I don't need to know their motivation, I just like to see them in action. That seems the most natural state for a male, active. They're fun to watch and that's how I find them most attractive. I feel great affection when I can glimpse them out of the side of my eyes, when they don't know I'm watching, as they work, or make, or do, or repair.

In motion, that's a very male thing. I like that.


*This post is a tribute to Jim, who brought his cholesterol down from 342 (gasp) to 198. Very proud of you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said...

M, I love to analyze too. Maybe that's one thing we have in common. I know that dh and I certainly have that in common. You should see the data collection and analysis process we went through to buy a new vehicle! We thoroughly enjoyed it, although it took about a year LOL. Nerds. (One of my dear friends who is more 'spontaneous' laughingly told me afterwards that she would have murdered me if she ever found herself married to someone like me.)

Anyway, this post is great. I like men too. I like their activity, their blitheness, their black and white approach-like Jim's "I regard myself as a Patriot's fan".


I don't know if Metrosexual's are really new. Think of the 'dandies' from the 19th century. But heck, what is wrong with enjoying the finer things of life and trying to look good. Isn't that what women do?

You're right. Let's not analyze this, just enjoy :-)
xoxo

7:52 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

that'll be the project: I need more data and we'll get you more spontaneity! xoxo

8:10 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

"I regard myself as a Patriots' fan." that's great! LOL! Such a male response. I like them too. But most of the time, I prefer to hang with women. Still, men do come in handy on many occassions! :-)

10:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Men. Well, some of them are great. Many aren't. I met a really nice man this past weekend and he's a fabulous artist---- very adult and sophisticated and cultured and all that. Guess what he had in his sketchbook? Drawings of fighter planes. A soldier or two. You can't take the boy out of the man.

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Way to go on the cholesterol, Jim!

I'm a Pats fan too. I might also be machosexual.

5:55 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

LOLOLOLOL! fine with me! xoxo

6:32 PM

 
Blogger Trina said...

*Wild applause* Keep up the good work on the cholesterol, dude!

2:52 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Trina! Dude thanks you! xoxo

7:26 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Men are an acquired taste. :-)

7:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home