my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.19.2005

How Much Do I Need?

Of things, of companionship, of connection, of love?

I love beautiful things but have always been willing to open my hands and let them go.

In less-centered moments, I have let companionship, connection -- even love -- go too. But I've learned my lesson on that one.

Beautiful things make my life pleasant. Companionship, connection and love keep me alive.

To stay in this life, you need to be a part of it ... to interact with other beings. Caring for and being cared for. You need to be touched, you need to touch -- you need to matter to someone else.

And it's a responsibility not to be taken lightly. Love comes and stays, even when it's inconvenient, or isn't what you'd envisioned, or causes you heartache.

There is so little beside it that means anything.

In my five years outside the grid, I learned so much about what was meaningful to me. And it turned out not to be jewelry or cars or clothes or ...

I am unreasonably happy with what I have right now. People I love, who love me.

I hope I can keep hold of this sense of peace when I'm back in the middle of everything telling you you're supposed to want more.

14 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

a beautiful post, M

and i feel sure you will be able to hang on to your sense of self in the midst of the rat race (if not, we shall report you to bela for a right royal slapping!)

jes' kidding...

nightie night - i'm off to have a bath and then sleep...

UC
x

2:28 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. xoxo

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Great post... :-)

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I'm so glad I checked back in again. Great post M!

Hard to see you getting lost in the waves of the great commercial ocean outside your door, you have so many anchors here!
xoxo
Laura

3:07 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Ah, contentment. It's terribly underrated. Most folks seem to be solely pursuing happiness, which is fleeting. Happiness is nice, but contentment is priceless.

4:21 PM

 
Blogger red-queen said...

How wild! You, bela and i all posted today about having, wanting, giving, receiving. Do you suppose it's the moon phase?

As usual, you express yourself with such clarity. i read your pared-down prose and feel embarrassed for my verbiage.

5:27 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

A little bird's just told me you were threatened with me, M. Here I am, but I don't think my services as a "slapper (LOL!) will be needed. You can relax now.:-)

What a lovely, thoughtful message!

I'm not too bad at resisting temptation. Not having much money helps a lot. LOL! I'm also very aware you can't take *anything* with you.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Contentment is perfect. We seldom know that we are happy when we are happy. We look back and think, Ah, I was happy then... But contentment can be enjoyed now.

7:25 PM

 
Blogger Trina said...

There is NOTHING unreasonable about being happy with what you have, M! Too few people these days appreciate the love in their lives, and are constantly striving for status or belongings.

I agree with everyone else that contentment is underrated. My mother doesn't understand how/why I am so happy being a housewife (or, as she calls it, "wasting your life and your brain"), despite knowing how terribly miserable I've been for most of my life, doing the things "expected" of me.

I have an amazing husband, a loving family (and awesome in-laws), my furry and finny children, and a low-stress lifestyle that allows me to remain sane. I'm not making lots of money, climbing a career ladder, or any of the other societal measures of "success", but I'm living in bliss.

Thanks for another excellent post! I love how you remind me to examine things I might not always remember to.

9:51 PM

 
Blogger red-queen said...

trina:

The thing about the rat-race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.

:>)

2:28 AM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

So true. Just can't live without others.

3:14 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

D, sometimes the rat has to earn his/her own bread.

7:16 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I like this post. :-) How refreshing for someone to say "I enjoy what I have, I don't need more." Our culture is sick.

8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just by reading what you write about and how you write, I get the feeling you'll be centered not matter what happens to you in the big bad commercial world out there. And if you tip one way or the other, rest assured we'll let know:D

6:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home