my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.23.2005

somewhere i have never traveled

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look will easily unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully, mysteriously) her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

e.e. cummings


Today's fragrance: Serge Lutens A la Nuit with notes of Egyptian, Indian and Moroccan jasmine, clove, white honey, benzoin, musk. Sheer whiteflower beauty.

4 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

"the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands"

beautiful

and a poem of his i somehow haven't hit upon until now, so thank you, M

my inner (and outer) rage is settling now, so heck only knows what i'm going to blog about

time for some more shoes, methinks...

[oooh, what is this word verification thing? is it to stop spammers?]

6:00 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I love this poem. My favorite passage in all poetry is this one:


your slightest look will easily unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully, mysteriously) her first rose


Nothing is finer!xoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

7:40 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

That is one of my favorite poems. I used to read it a lot when I first fell in love, years ago.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

One of these days I will eventually get around to trying the A la Nuit. So many folks seem to appreciate it well. I love well-done jasmine, and clove is always an interesting note for me.

Love those botanical style drawings. The best ones have such a simple elegance to them. Good pairing of poem with art, M.

3:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home