my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.25.2005

Khalil Gibran on Love

For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say,
"God is in my heart,"
but rather, "I am in the heart of God."

And think not you can direct the course of love,
for love, if it finds you worthy,
directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.


But if you love and must needs have desires,
let these be your desires:

To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.

To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.


tile mosaic: Mihrab, Isfahan Iran collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
thank you, Laura

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can handle the waking at dawn part with a winged heart (though my wingspread that hour of the day is meager), I know about giving thanks and I do, but I draw the line at bleeding willingly and joyfully---and melting, really. My intactness has been too hard-won and long in coming, thanks all the same. But this is lovely anyway and I am obviously not the Laura whom you are thanking for this inspiration ;D. *smooches*
That Other Laura

3:32 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

beautiful

someone read an excerpt from 'the prophet' at my sister's wedding

and i love that doorway - reminds me of the alhambra palace...

morning, M!

[duoti? i think that might actually *be* a word]

6:00 AM

 
Blogger Lila said...

That's beautiful. I love the picture, too.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

You're welcome M! Such beautiful writing never loses it power. Can't wait til you share the one on Children, oh, and Marriage, and Freedom, and Talking, and on and on!!

I'm playing hooky for the rest of the day. Back later.

xoxox

10:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home