my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.02.2005

Lemmings as a Diet Aid


In perfume fanatic parlance, a "lemming" is something you lust for, usually in the encouraging company of many like-minded individuals who also would be willing to knock over their mothers to get at the desired bottle of whatever.

My current lemming list includes, but is not limited to, the largest possible bottles of the following:

Agent Provocateur
Caron Or et Noir (added just this minute as I read V's Bois de Jasmin)
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
Frederic Malle Une Rose
Regina Harris Rose Maroc
Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose
Serge Lutens Chergui
Yosh Sottile
Yosh U4EEAH!

I have decided to use my lemming list as a diet aid. For every five-pound increment lost, I should receive a bottle off my list. This averages approximately $100 invested for each five pounds lost.

Such a small price to pay for my happiness.

I have not yet shared this with Jim, but I know he will be supportive. Heh.

Today's fragrance: the very economical Tipton Charles Sandalwood layered with the equally cost-conscious Lady Evangeline. Warm woodsy, cherry almondish coziness. Perfect for another %^&* gray Seattle day.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great plan! I should institute something like that, although it is pages of dissertation prospectus in my case. Glad that I could add something to your list of lemmings.

9:45 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

V -- thank you for the Caron ideas! and N -- you work hard enough as it is. More Perfume, Less Work. xoxoxoxo

10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous idea! I'm motivated too.

...and I find your blog makes me so comfortably happy (have I mentioned that?) ~like going home for vacation and seeing my folks in their chairs out back. They would be resting from yard work, my mom wearing coral, my Dad wearing green...eating fresh berries and sweet tiny peas straight from the vine. Hospitality was their specialty...not stiff facades of *entertaining*, but welcoming, easy and honest, unadorned hospitality.

~clearing

10:00 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

what a sweetyhead you are, C.

10:18 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

J! Armpit gear! Not counting purchases under $30! Pffffft! And many of us are twirling in our graves over your discovery of whiteflowers. Who could have seen that coming?

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Your devotion to svelteness has inspired me to try again. Perhaps I should put Clive Christian No. 1 on my list and when I lose 40 pounds let myself buy it! I am bereft of all other lemmings.

I just happen to have the South Beach book languishing on my bedside table under a stack of mysteries, perfume books and - get this- Fitness magazines.

Its an omen.

I'll keep you posted!
xo
k-girl

1:57 PM

 
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Now that is an idea we can all sink our teeth into!

Hope you reach your goal, with or without Jim, and we will are share in your glory.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Hey there sister. I'm a big believer in rewarding oneself with beauty. So many of us indulge ourselves with food--moi aussi, though I'm 8 feet tall so it doesn't show up as quickly--in part because eating is such a pleasurable sensory experience. It's rewarding in and of itself. But sight, smell, and sound (not to mention touch) can produce similarly transcendent feelings. A swoonworthy perfume, a gorgeous painting, a song that makes you clutch your heart, the feel of your favorite animal's silky fur--all of these create moments, however fleeting, of contentment and minor (or major) joy.

So my thought is that perfume can help you lose weight in two ways: as a carrot to motivate you forward via anticipation of a new purchase, and as a pleasurable experience that replaces the need to seek gratification mainly in food. (I don't even know if you tend to do that -- I suppose I should speak for myself.)

BTW, you are a rose nut, aren't you? Me too! (But today's scent is Préparation Parfumée).

7:57 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

I AM a rose nut ... and thank you for this post, reminding me of all the gratifying things -- yes, you're right -- that don't have anything to do with calorie intake ...

8:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mireille,
I'm glad you've found suitable motivation. While weight loss isn't exactly my goal, my motivation for fitness this summer is Jello wrestling. When you can't eat it you might as well play in it;)

And don't grumble too much about the Seattle weather. Just be thankful you aren't suffering through typhoon season in Japan. All that rain really brings out the less palitable smells of the season (eau du poopy). I'd take rainy Seattle any day.

9:17 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Neko, is that you?

11:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home