my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.04.2005

Ariela Channels the Young Ruth


Yesterday I received this blogpost from heaven.

Actually it was an email from Ruth, who had this conversation with her four year old daughter Ariela in the car on the way to work. Ruth noted, "this conversation has convinced me that occasionally spirits from my past life enter the body of my daughter purely for the purpose of tormenting me."

Ariela: (in the back seat, quietly) What the fock? What the fock? What the fock?

Ruth: What did you say?

Ariela: FocS. I said FoX. What?

Ruth: The other word. You know what I’m talking about; it’s not a very nice word.

Ariela: Fock. Rhymes with sock. Fock, fock, fock rhymes with sock. Mommy, fock rhymes with sock.

Ruth: So does block.

Ariela: Good one, mommy! So does cock.

Ruth: (silence)

Ariela: Geek.

Ruth: WHY are you saying these words to me?

Ariela: Because I think they’re funny! (singsong voice) But youuuuu don’tttt.

Ruth: (silence)

Ariela: Sock, block, shock, lock, fock, dock, tock, knock. Those are all good words. Except the [stage whisper] FOCK one.

Today's fragrance in honor of Ruth: Annick Goutal's Ce Soir ou Jamais, one of my favorite, most ladylike roses.

7 Comments:

Blogger Yesrie said...

OMfockingG, that is priceless.

Excuse me, my wallet is flipping open and a cascade of snapshots is falling out :>

When Alex was 2¾, she'd make up words and say they were in the language "Hade Pode." This conversation tickled me:

At nap, looking for a reaction: "My tumbo hurts." That must be Hade Pode. "Yes, it’s Hade Pode." What does it mean? "Tumbo is a body. My bumby hurts." What’s a bumby? "A bumby is a special word." It must be Hade Pode... what is it in English? "No, it’s Spanish."

11:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops re Ariela. I was wondering how on earth you come up with interesting things so often, because you do, you do. Me, I just have to put some artwork up and I'm there.
By the way, M, I've named you Honorary Godmother in Absentia to Abby. You don't mind, do you ? (Glad you like the drawings ;D)
xoxo,
Abby's unfurry mother

3:57 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

ohhhhhhhh Hade Pode AND I'M HONORARY GODMOTHER IN ABSENTIA TO ABBY. I am so happy. thank you.

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

Oh M,

I just love your blog! I love these stories! :)

9:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes indeedy. Thanks for our 15 minutes of fame! I couldn't make this stuff up. When I showed the story to my uncle he said "Oh, it's only going to get better. Her spelling will soon improve." Hade Pode cracks me up too.

Oh, and I adore Ce Soir ou Jamais. But its subdued sexiness in the guise of ladylike rose is what really appeals. Sniff again, sweet M ;-) MWAH!

8:04 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

snicker, snicker. Poor Ruth. As the proud mother of a 6 year old and a 4 year old I can relate-completely. :-)

1:30 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Ruth, that story is great! Your daughter needs to meet my son. They are like, soulmates! LOL.

4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home