my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

5.05.2007

Wretched Excess. (Need Any QTips?)

I admire the "eat local" movement, those who would buy only what they absolutely must to survive, and individuals who are disciplined enough to swim strongly against the supersized American consumerist current.

I love reading those blogs that demonstrate that ethos (especially Jamie's 10SignsLikeThis) but -- given my perfume habit as one example (although in my defense, we DO own a CSA share this summer and will be supporting a local farm by eating great produce) -- Anyway. Where was this defensive diatribe leading?

Right. Today we made our Annual-Trip-To-Costco.

Oh dear God. It starts with a long drive using up way too much gas to a location in the burbs. Got an early start in order to beat the crowd. Show up at 9:15 a.m., find a lovely close parking place, in spite of the hundreds who are already jostling by the entrance.

Each of us jockeys an oversize cart into the line waiting to get in. Note the Old Hippie complete with pony tail of graying hair who aims to beat everyone to the front of the line by creeping his cart on the outskirts of the crowd, slowly, slowly making his way to the head of the line. Idiot.

Anyway. Door opens, show membership card for which we spent money entitling us to spend even more money -- and then it begins. It's like I go into a hynotic state and I start wanting things I would not be in my right mind to want. Five oversize bottles of Mitchum unscented deodorant. FIVE LARGE DEODORANTS. We will never need to buy deodorant again. Or toothpaste. Or ibuprofen. Or (fill in the blank). And I really don't want to talk about the lifetime supply of Q-Tips.

Then there is the industrial size Costco peach pie. Why, why, why? At least this one I convinced Jim he wanted so I didn't have to carry the guilt.

He wouldn't go for the huge bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos, though. I had to put that in my own cart. Dammit.

Tide. Clorox disinfecting wipes. Never mind the usual pallets of toilet paper and paper towels.

A new bed for Bucky (that he doesn't like the smell of. Yet.) The double-pack of Cetaphil.

And the list goes on. Until we get in the long, long line for the privilege of paying the hundreds of dollars.

Then the line to actually exit ... and we're out!

Load up the car, make it home and that weird consuming state slowly wears off. But there's a hangover moment as I'm stowing the QTips. Thousands of QTips.

I know the rationale is that buying in bulk makes things cheaper. If you need everything you buy and buy only what you need.

Did I need thousands of QTips? Or the 20-pack of Seth's Pink Cookies? Well, if anything happens, at least we're stocked.

Let me know if you need any Pink Cookies or QTips.

10 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

How 'bout pink Q-tips? I don't have any of those.

My Mama always thought a person should buy toilet paper by the shit-load (pardon the pun) because as she said: "It doesn't go out of style."

This is a fun post!

7:20 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

LOL! I'm so glad I don't have the space to buy in bulk (two rolls of loo paper is all I can accommodate).

I go into the same trance-like state whenever I visit Carrefour in France. Not very often, luckily.

7:37 AM

 
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

drunk, eh? when I realize I am in that mood I run out of the store or I'd keep shopping until there's money in wallet. and the hangover is so painful. glad to hear you don't have to worry about pink cookies anymore, though. and QTips!

11:59 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Is it sad that I'm extremely jealous of you for having a Costco nearby? All we have is a Sam's Club.

If you've got the storage space, it makes perfect sense to buy nonperishables in bulk. What doesn't make sense -- and I do it too -- is to buy food in bulk. Because then you will eat it "in bulk." :-\ (Speaking of, those cookies look gooooooooood....)

5:07 AM

 
Blogger Eden said...

wow 1,000 q-tips. If you clean your ears every day that's about 3 years' supply. Well, if the end of the world comes at least you'll hear it!

I think the idea of bulk buying is great. But i'd need a bigger house first for the closets.

10:51 AM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

Bela, you've made my PTSS act up. Carrefour in Italy is where I was shopping when my vehicle was stolen.
(going to my happy place now)
OK, now, about the Costco thing, it's stunning isn't it when you go from complete ignorance of the existence of something to wanting it badly enough you will talk your honey into thinking he wants it?

8:35 PM

 
Blogger Trina said...

I could totally use the Q-tips! We only have two humans here, but one of our cats and ALL of our ferrets need semi-regular ear cleanings. We go through massive quantities of the things!

I know what you mean, though. This past summer I realized that the majority of our spices were purchased at Sam's Club *well* before we were married (July was 5 years for us)! No wonder they were all so bland! We also still have 1 package of ziploc sandwich baggies (part of a "value pack") purchased around the same time as those spices, which I only just recently opened to use.

The only reason I ever go back to Sam's anymore is holiday shopping - they have *great* gift baskets around that time that are perfect for those hard-to-shop-for aunts and uncles!

8:45 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Logophile, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at an Italian Carrefour. The ones in Lille and Nice are like Aladdin's caves to me: full of desirable French things I can't get here. I don't really miss them, no, I don't. LOL!

4:41 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Instead of thousands of q-tips, wouldn't one mop be an even better bargain?

5:04 AM

 
Blogger audible said...

It took me three trains and an hour to reach the suburban local of the Tokyo Costco, and it was so worth it. The cheap produce, the familiar products, the giant slices of pizza without octopus, corn, or mayonaise! Eating local is grand, but sometimes you need a taste of home, or really good french cheese, or a pair of shoes. Mmmm... shoes.

2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home