my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

4.29.2007

Sweet Old Dog

It's not any easier to watch your dog age than to watch yourself age ... and Bucky, who's become sweeter with the years, has now developed a bit of a limp when he first gets up off the floor.

We think he's about ten years old so, I guess, it's about time.


So now we'll start looking for elevated food bowls, a softer bed that he'd actually consider using, any other ways we can help him adjust to geezerhood.

But it's kind of hard. We've had him just three years but now -- as I'm sure every petlover knows -- I can't imagine life without him.

So I won't. I won't imagine life without him.

Sweet old dog.

9 Comments:

Blogger benvenuta said...

6:14 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Oh, the poor thing! (And you too, M.) I remember when I first realised my pussycat was getting older: she started looking a bit, I don't know, 'raggedy'; a bit slow, too. On the other hand, she became much more affectionate.

Hope Bucky has many years of happy life still in him. :-)

4:22 AM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

Awwww, sweet old man
xxoo

9:03 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm with you in denial. Bucky seems like a good old fella.

By the way, Willie's had a limp since he was two. Soft beds work fine and, failing that, the couch.

10:33 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

♥ Bucky

The elevated food bowls will make a fantastic difference, though. Do you give him glucosamine supplements? They helped my in-laws' dog tremendously as she got older (hip/knee problems) so you might ask the vet if that's okay for the old Buckster.

Just gotta love those particularly hirsute members of the fam, especially when they're as cute as Bucky.

4:56 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Rabbit, rabbit, Bucky!

5:32 AM

 
Blogger The Old Mule said...

Is it not phenomenal how pets become one of the family? I miss my old Yellow more than some second cousins.

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

hey, 10 is not that old. I know a girl got a 11 year old poodle, now the dog is 16, loves travelling and is very lively. no, never imagine life without your dog until he's there. I admit I'm a little envy of how a dog with a good owner gets old, they are given everything they need and they don't even think about old times and old fames. best good old Bucky!

11:34 AM

 
Blogger Trina said...

(((M and Bucky)))

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home