my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

3.17.2007

Bail o Dhia ort!

Happy St. Patrick's Day from all the members of my clan, be they Mag Uidhir, McGuire, McGwire, Maguier or Mac Guire (and our Scottish relatives, the MacQuarries)!

Only because I am able to google, and clanarans.com is knowledgeable, can I tell you that "Maguire is the Anglicisation of the Gaelic Mag Uidhir, which means ‘son of the brown-haired one’. The sept originated in County Fermanagh in the north of the country, where the name has been established since the tenth century. The chief of the family, Donn Carrach Mag Uidhir, became ruler of the entire county in the fourteenth century, and there followed fifteen further Mag Uidhir chieftains over the next three hundred years. The name is now thirtieth most numerous in Ireland, being most numerous in Co. Fermanagh and also very common in Co. Cavan."

Today, I make corned beef and cabbage, and soda bread, and I thank all my ancestors who were hungry enough to come to America.

Bail o Dhia ort! (God's blessings on you!)



1 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy St. Patricks Day, Mag Uidhir!

10:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home