my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

2.20.2007

Djedi

Far better perfumistas have already analyzed the vintage, discontinued Guerlain, Djedi.

Victoria, Marina and March (plus others beyond the scope of my google) have eloquently delineated the seemingly dry, weirdly green, leatheristic, chypre-ish vetiver-esque nature of a fragrance created in the early part of the last century, now all but disappeared.

All that's left is to say how it feels: disturbing.

Supposedly it has held notes of rose, vetiver, musk, oakmoss, leather, civet and patchouli.

What remains, to my nose, is the vetiver, oakmoss, leather and, oh dear God, civet.

There is the barest shadow of sweetness in this scent of dessication and decay ... and I've just realized the image I'm drawing here: decomposition. Hopefully of vegetation, but I wouldn't completely discard the idea of a four-footed animal gone down the wrong road.

That's not very romantic, is it?

Well, all I can say is that Piguet's Bandit is the very youthful (and alive) younger sister of Djedi ... and it can be had for a relative song.

Take my advice: don't yearn for, or mourn, Djedi.

It IS strangely beautiful, in its Portrait of Dorian Gray way ... but even as I choose not to spend the night in a grave, I won't be choosing an extended outing with Djedi.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

I'm glad to report I shed not a tear.

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Trina said...

LOL! Thank you for firmly putting that lemming to bed! Is it wrong that I still want the bottle?

4:14 PM

 
Blogger TheBeautyBrains said...

We just found your site through a link on Beauty Addict and we were impressed by your fragrance vocabulary. We run a blog called The Beauty Brains and we just ran a series about fragrance ingredients. You can find it at: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/02/20/fragrance-science-part-2-ingredients/

Thanks and keep up the great work!

9:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hola tengo un envase original en cristal de Baccarat de Djedi de Guerlain del a�o 1926, viene dentro de un estuche de cuero verde.
Esta a la venta, interesados enviarme su oferta a mi mail
anitaodezc@hotmail.com

10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home