my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.04.2006

The Neglected Art of Self-Editing

...or The Blogpost You Almost Got.

I've just neatly filed away an angry screed (about? Let's just say it had to do with the neighbors' unjust animosity toward Bucky the Furbaby and a new picket fence) and now I'm postless.

So I'll just point out how good it is sometimes to hold your tongue. The things you think aren't always best said. The wildest anger sometimes translates horribly. And people aren't all bad, no matter what you think at the time. (Very little of this is original thought; much of it must be credited to the King of Temperance himself, Jim.)

I had the opportunity recently to use my favorite Procol Harum quote that fits this nicely:

Nothing's better left unsaid
Only sometimes
Still, no doubt,
It's awful hard.
It all works out.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure whether that's advocating self-editing or not. Self discipline is a mixed bag at best. On the one hand, you don't get to unleash the lightning bolts-o-wrath from on high, which feels pretty darn good when you're doing it.

But then, you don't apologize so much, either.

12 Comments:

Blogger puppytoes said...

i see my hubby beat me here tonite! : D

actually, i was struck by the fact that your post and my "dalai bobo" are variations of the same theme... how weird and/or wonderful is that?? (you know what they say about great minds, right?)

may this week be filled with all things pleasant & joyful... and never provide you with reason to "self-edit"! ^__^

8:30 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

welcome puppytoes and her dear husband!! thanks for coming over! xoxo

8:39 PM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

YAY YAY YAY!

I like it
I love it
I want some more of it!
I do so love me some
Mirielle!

OK, editing, ooooh to have better mastery of that skill.

11:22 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I don't find apologizing difficult. LOL!

5:30 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I have nothing to say, but so happy to see that I can say something again...thanks for putting comments back! And love the stripes :-)

5:39 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Or you could unleash the lightning bolts with carefree abandon and NEVER apologize, but then you'd better be charming because you're going to have to keep making new friends.

Ah, it feels so good to comment here... *stretches*

12:19 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Love that last line. :-)

3:03 PM

 
Blogger Lulu said...

I don't know how not to self-edit. I think I will make it my middle name.

3:06 PM

 
Blogger puppytoes said...

either i need to change my glasses prescription again... or the stripes are gone! still playing with the template? or are you just messin' with my mind?? : D

(just stopped by to say "hi"... and wish you a happy monday!)

3:10 PM

 
Blogger puppytoes said...

okay... so right after *that* last comment i made, the stripes are BA-A-ACK! you are messin' with me, aren't ya? or have i now crossed over to a scary stripes/no-stripes place, from which there is no escape?? aieeee! : D

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Woof! who is dissing my friend Bucky!?
Let me at em!

Casper

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I am a tongue-holder by nature and at times to a fault. I soooo avoid controversy and head butting at most costs! But...I am NOT a timid pushover.

You've got groovy stripes ;)

3:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home