my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.03.2006

The Unreasonable Happiness of Hand Smocking

My friend Barbatia ... she who so astutely aligns JC Coriandre with Agent Provocateur ... recently pointed out how unreasonably happy she is made by hand smocking.

Who could not agree? It simply smacks of little girls' party dresses ... and *whisper* dreams of a granddaughter.

At least that's why it makes me unreasonably happy.

Imagine having a little girl to dress. Imagine a little closet filled with little dresses, all lovingly handsmocked by moi.

Imagine chocolate ice cream all over that exquisite handsmocking. Imagine returning said little chocolate-smeared charmer back to your daughter-in-law after you've had all the enjoyment.

FUN!

Ahhh, if only it happens for me.

(Barbatia, this may not be your dream ... hope you're ok that I extrapolated.)

3 Comments:

Blogger puppytoes said...

with sons, "smocking" is not something i was ever able to enjoy. that said, i never would have enjoyed it. that is, of course, unless it was done by someone else. it is lovely, tho'...

pretty sure i was smocked around a lot as a little girl. ^_^

8:09 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I love smocking. Never learned how to do it, but remember doing whatchamacallit, 'drawn threads' is it?, and enjoying it (still have the hanky and baby vest somewhere, LOL!). Such peaceful pastimes! :-)

5:34 PM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

I love smocking too. It's one of those necessities -- must find a way to make clothes that accommodate a rapidly growing little body -- that become art form. I'm thinking of the stretchy kind of smocking; I suppose there's also unstretchy but what's the point then?

My mother, had she had her way, would have covered my entire body in smocking.

*rofl at puppytoes' joke*

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home