my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.14.2005

DSH Ashram: Death and Forever

I received a sample order from DSHperfumes[.com] and included was this week's favorite fragrance: Ashram.

It's in that family of incense-y fragrances that I've recently come to crave ... for some reason, these scents give you that sense of Death and Forever that's perfect for the season.

Per the DSH site: "Om Nama Shivaya. Peace and enlightenment through meditation ..." i
t has a dense not-so-sweet smokiness that brings to mind burning leaves, but these leaves are from far away trees -- and the burning involves some sort of spiritual petition.

Ashram is not the familiar incense of Catholic mass ... it truly does bring to mind distant mountains where monks in lotus position find satori without seeking it.

Notes include: nag champa, amber, Australian sandalwood, benzoin, champaca absolute, East Indian patchouli base, Brazilian vetiver, frankincense/olibanum, Himalayan cedar and myrrh gum. Although there's no vanilla cited in the notes, it reminds me of Regina Harris' Amber Vanilla, which I also love.

Speaking of Death and Forever scents, here is a wonderful quote about frankincense and myrrh that I read in Robin of NowSmellThis's recent interview with Alexandra Balahoutis of Strange Invisible Perfumes:


"A distiller I know told me that frankincense was the first breath you take and that myrrh is the last. I then realized that myrrh had something to do with death and after that I understood it."

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

That is a wonderful quotation from Balahoutis. I love your Death and Forever category of scents. For me those would undoubtedly be incense fragrances, Passage d'Enfer especially. There is darkness in it that sort of symbolizes death for me yet there is some serenity and light there too- the Forever that death brings with it.
I will definitely try Ashram now!

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I don't understand what you said, but it sure gave us an eerie feeling.

7:48 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Sounds good... I love incense.

10:58 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

I don't wear scents. Some folks at work were "allergic," so the rest of us learned to do without. I never got back into the habit.

I do love incense, and candles. I burn them all the time.

3:23 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Anything with amber and sandalwood, or warm smoky scents have my vote. Especially for a candle, lit on a gray rainy day.
There is a wonderful candle by Diptyque named Feu de Bois which smells like firewood missing the flames.

6:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home