my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

9.13.2005

Imaginary Supreme Court Hearings

Senator Dianne Feinstein's questioning today of Supreme Court Chief Justice nominee John Roberts reminded one of nothing so much as a typical husband/wife exchange (paraphrase):

"I found these notes you wrote in the margins of a memo written about a woman to be honored for transitioning from a homemaker to becoming a lawyer.

You said something about maybe it's not such a good thing to be honoring women for becoming lawyers over homemakers.

Did you say that?"

(slight look of discomfort comes over his preternaturally smooth and calm demeanor, faint bristling)

"Oh that's not what I meant."

"Well then, why did you say it?"

"I was talking about there being too many lawyers. People have joked about that for time immemorial. Like, even in Shakespeare."

"Yes, but you said this. Why did you say it if you didn't mean it? Does that mean you feel that way about me?"

"Oh honey, you know I think you're a super lawyer. And a terrific senator. I would have never said anything that implied otherwise."

*mollified* "Oh, all right then."

4 Comments:

Blogger Lila said...

Too funny.

5:53 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I tried to watch but I just couldn't get through it. I zoned out during Senator Kennedy's questioning.
Maybe you should be in charge of the proceedings.

7:59 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Yes. I should be. xoxo

8:04 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

LOL-great dialogue M!
xox

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home