my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.13.2005

Lengthening List of Monday Irritations


Why does Jim always snag the New Yorker the minute it comes in the mail? So that all the good cartoons are used up by the time I get it?

Why does Bucky insist on doing the circle dance before he lies down, wrinkling the living room carpet so that I'm sure its weave is getting damaged?

Why do I wake up at 5 am but am barely breathing by 8 pm? When I used to sleep until noon and stay up until midnight?

Why does Bucky shed enough hair to knit sweaters for all the children of a third world country?

Why don't neocons talk about their past illustrious service on active duty in our armed forces?

Why does Jim hate Law and Order SVU?

Why does the beautiful silver hair at my temples have an entirely different texture than the rest of my luxurious dark brown hair? So that there are, like, two different heads of hair on my head?

Why does Bucky refuse to come when I call him? And yet is all over me if he hears a bakery bag being opened? (Not that I, in my present dieting state, am opening bakery bags. But if I did.)

Why is the Downing Street memo being underplayed by the mainstream press?

Why do I have the appetite of someone who is 6' 8"? When I am 5'?

Why must we listen to every damn argumentative political talkshow that exists? (McLaughlin Report, Crossfire, George Stephanopolis, Robert Novak, Tim Russert et al?) (And don't get me started on all Wolf Blitzer, all the time.)

*Why don't Democrats understand that Democrats have more in common with moderate Republicans than moderate Republicans have in common with neocons?

Why must I be so grumpy? When I know it is not attractive and does not make me lovable?

*Why can't Howard Dean say, "I was wrong to criticize Republicans as a whole. Who we need to criticize is the small group of rabid right wingers, self righteous proselytizers who call themselves Republicans and call themselves conservatives -- neocons -- who are taking us for a destructively ideological ride. We're all in the trunk together, Democrats and moderate Republicans."

*thanks to Jim for the asterisked irritations, which I edited. Because I gotta be me.
Today's fragrance : BPAL's Zombi. BPAL review to come.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please please please tell about Alice when the tornadic wind of dog hair has settled and the rug has once again been set straight.

I have two heads of hair too. I can't wait for the silver to overtake the auburn and turn me into the platinum blond (sort-of) that I am in my heart.

~clearing

8:01 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

honey, we're all looking forward to seeing more of that Mae West that we know is in you. xoxoxo

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I get grumpy, it is very difficult not to irritate me. On the other hand, it usually happens when I am alone, therefore the local denizens are saved from my wrath.

Now, can I please add a couple of grumpy comments:

Why do my neighbours upstairs walk around as if they had metal blocks tied to their feet? Why do they have to have loud umm... activities at random hours of the night?

Why is it so hot that I cannot envision doing my ballet routine, without getting overheated in 5 min?

In general, I am fed up with the summer. It is too hot, and I have sun sensitive skin. Perhaps, I should do my yoga, and it might get me more in touch with the beauty of the present moment!

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

The feminine mind is an incomprehensible abyss!
Because when you elucidate one conundrum, she has twenty riddles more!
BTW - If you want your dog to come, just rattle a bag.

8:36 AM

 
Blogger cjblue said...

'Cause.

(Oh, how I know that feeling. You should know you're lovable even in this state. Maybe not quite as cuddly though.)

8:46 AM

 
Blogger baconwrappedfriedchicken said...

I love your blog!!! Would you mind if I linked to you?

9:23 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

angela ... I'd be honored! And I'll link your new one!

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Val said...

*Completely baffled* How can Jim not like Law & Order!?

9:41 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Love your list of why's? Great post.

But I don't have any answers. I'm a Unitarian. We just have questions.

9:56 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

V -- well, he'll tolerate the original and he actually kind of likes Criminal Intent. But he feels SVU is exploitative with its emphasis on pedophilia and rape (and, actually, this is true) -- for me, it's all about watching Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni. I think they have one of the few great male/female work relationships. But the plots do get repetitively icky. I hate to admit that.

9:58 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

tan lucy: I like Unitarians. They have healthy attitudes about politics and religion. At least the ones I've known. *grin*

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Yesrie said...

We don't watch L&O SVU--for Jim's reasons--but I love Mariska Hargitay too :> The original L&O (pronounced, in these parts, as "Lahr and Awda") was fantastic, but we REALLY miss Jerry Orbach :-(

>> Why does the beautiful silver hair at my temples have an entirely different texture <<

Oh, man. Me too. The silver hairs have a crotchety-old-woman personality and refuse to sit down and SHUT UP :> But... fine. Their increasing share of the real estate prolly makes them a barometer of the same impulses in my personality :-\

10:13 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Oh my, you make a great crabby pants!

I can only answer the doggie questions but the answers won't change anything.

Nothing could really make you any less loveable. Bring it on!
xo

10:13 AM

 
Blogger dddragon said...

My silver/gray hair also has a different personality. I like all the L&O's, but like Criminal Intent best, esp. with Jerry Orbach being gone.

Here's one: why is it that my black and white cat sheds only his white hair when I'm wearing dark clothes?

10:42 AM

 
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

....because we cannot accept people, places and things for who and what they are...At least I can't! Then I become frustrated, and annoyed because things are not done as I want them to be. When I am totally into acceptance, then I can find peace of mind.

On a side note: give Bucky and yourself some hugs today. Bucky is the bomb!

10:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I add one? Why is it still so cold in Germany in that I need a long sleeve shirt and a cotton sweater? It's June, for crying out loud.

TIme for some chocolate and fruit tea now :-)

11:36 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I am still upset over the New Yorker. You should have your own subscription. NOBODY in my house is allowed to touch my New Yorker. Of course, nobody wants to, but still, they are not allowed.

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Sand said...

I love Mariska Hargitay, she's so stunning and such a wonderful actress and person!

Hope does the circle dance as well and pretends not to know her name when I call her but she sure does come running when I say "cheese" or "crunchie!"

12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mirielle,
fret not about your hair. That's just how gray hair is. And don't you even think about conceling it! I actually stoped dying my hair once I met a gorgeous 20 something gal with natural salt and pepper hair. I had a few gray hairs (at the ripe age of 22) and hoped one day they would multiply enough that I could look like her.

11:58 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

I agree with you Neko. I'n not dying it. I just want it to live in peace with the dark ones. xoxoxoxo

6:55 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

I'm addicted to L&O:SVU, for the Meloni-Hargitay acting, too. They individually are so great, and together are double great. I even enjoy Ice-T on that show. And the guy who plays the psychologist is, well, wonderful. I could do with less Richard Belzer... don't know why, but he irritates me. It's not just the character, it's him (his standup comedy wasn't really appealing to me either). I wish they hadn't lost the blonde D.A. lady, I thought she was a great actor, and the red head lady's character they brought in as a replacement isn't written nearly as well.

My husband doesn't quite get SVU, either, but he doesn't NOT like it, it's just not something he cares to watch very often. Maybe it's too gruesome... he strongly dislikes crime and detective shows in general.

2:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home