my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.27.2007

A True Ghost Story ... for Halloween

In the early 70s I was a college student at the University of Washington. I was attending class during summer term, I was living in a small ground-floor studio apartment in Seattle near Portage Bay on Lake Union, and it was hot that night.

I was sewing curtains, I think -- the windows were bare and open, I remember. It was probably midnight -- I was still a night owl then and I would be active until maybe 1 or 2 in the morning when I didn't have to be at class early the next day. My next door neighbor was either gone or asleep.

It was warm enough that I had cut-off jeans on, and a t-shirt. My hair was short which, weirdly, I have come to think was very important. I was absorbed in what I was doing until I was distracted by a noise outside.

When I went to the window, the porch light revealed a man outside, who apparently had just stepped away from peering in my window, but who was still facing me head on. I could clearly see his face, and the fact that in the July heat he had on a long, dark trench coat. One of his arms was through the sleeve, but the other arm was hidden within the coat, as if he had a sling on it.

I ran to the door and locked it -- it had been ajar. And then I looked out the window again.

The man was still there. He grinned at me. And slowly turned and walked away.

I called the police, who dutifully showed up, took my report and told me to keep my door locked and my blinds drawn. I had been thoroughly scared ... and the creepy event stayed dormant in my memory for years.

Until the day I saw a picture in a magazine of the man who had stood outside my apartment that night.

His name was Ted Bundy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

I googled the name and got shocked. That was one frightening memory of yours without it already.

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

How was it THEN? Didn't your brain insist on going and find a bed to climb under and never come out? How did you convince it that life's like that and we cannot constantly think about people that want to kill?

2:50 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Oh my GOD!!! I quite literally have goose bumps over this! I mean that. Goose bumps all over my body! That story is as scary as it gets.

He grinned at you too. He was so sure of himself. Pure evil he was. How horrible this must have been for you.

5:32 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Ariel, what I thought of most in all this time was how very lucky I am.

Lucy, it was the grin I remember most vividly.

xoxo

6:40 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

OMG, I've seen several documentaries about the guy. Creepy! I might have encountered him later in Salt Lake City (which is where I should have been around the time he was committing his crimes there). Ugh!

7:59 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

That's the kind of story I prefer fictional. A very real chill went down my spine towards my heart.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Dude, NO. That's insanely scary. The only thing scarier is if AL Bundy had been outside your house. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Honestly, though: do you know if he ended up murdering anyone that night? Wasn't Ted the one who faked injuries to capitalize on women's empathy? *shudder*

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Lisa Later said...

*screams*

i've seen documentaries about him too

how terrifying!


UC

7:04 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Al Bundy and Ted Nugent, Winterwheat? I'm shaking.

7:38 PM

 
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

Rabbit, rabbit!

10:51 PM

 
Blogger Reese said...

Couldn't have been Ted Bundy; he was alive and still murdering co-eds in the '70s. He wasn't executed until January 24th, 1989. You might well have seen a ghost, but it wasn't Ted.

1:17 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

Reese, did you see that this happened in the 70s? circa '74 when he was active in Seattle? And the ghost reference was an allusion to spooky stories ... plus Ted is dead now and could be a ghost. although God knows, I hope he's thoroughly incinerated in hell.

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home