my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.17.2007

The Right Gauge

The strangest things remind me of my mother. (I am a knit blog addict and everytime I see something particularly fine, I think of her.)

She was an exceptional knitter ... of the most complicated, most finely wrought knit goods. I still have sweaters she knit for herself, each stitch perfectly shaped and each stitch perfectly proportioned (I think knitters call this knitting to gauge).

Really, this said a lot about how disciplined she was ... these perfect artifacts reflected her perfectionism, her sense of color, her appreciation of good design.

I loved her. And now, though I knit myself, I'll never be able to match her.

Maybe her knitting was the gauge of her person. Contained, beautifully crafted, unique.

I miss her.

Painting by Adrienne Hauch

5 Comments:

Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

Passion makes disciplined. I'd love to see sweaters she knitted!

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Trina said...

(((M)))

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Mireille, no one knits to gauge like you do.

8:02 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Beauty in the details... you've certainly inherited that ethos.

10:24 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Oh, sweetie! It does hurt to have them gone!

I'll miss Mama forever. Maybe longer.

5:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home