my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.21.2006

Ode To Vanilla

I'm not one for foody fragrances, but I don't have it in me to totally sneer at the warmth and comfort of a good vanilla fragrance.

My favorite? Probably Serge Lutens' Un Bois Vanille, with its licorice undertone. I also like Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka.

And the almondy-vanilla weirdness of Dior Hypnotic Poison. The edging-into-chypre Anne Pliska (which always reminds me of Tournesol's catchy "Anne Pliska/Anne Pliska/Hare Krishna/Hare Rama" ... heh).

The richly scented in-a-class-of-its-own Sage Pearl.

A few more: Carrement Belle Vanilla, any of the La Maison de la Vanilles, Molinard Les Senteurs Vanille.

And the Classic Queen, Shalimar ... although, on me, the vanilla is faint when it shows up at all.

I know there's more. This is a great excuse to dig through my samples to find more. Or tell me about your favorite.

8 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

I love the smell of vanilla. Just love it. I like lavender too. I'm a slouch in this area, but I like cooking smells: pumpkin, apple pie, etc.

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Um, Jello?

8:38 AM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

I adore vanilla.
I tend to get the essential oil and fragrance both from farmer's market stands.
How boring am I?

12:07 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

I love the smell of vanilla.

My mom sometimes wore Shalimar. I never realized it had hints of vanilla. (but I know nothing at all about perfume.)

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serge Lutens' Un Bois Vanille--oh, my, licorice AND vanilla. *swoon*

3:23 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Love the smell of vanilla on the pod. Hate it with a passion in perfume and don't like it much in food. Sorry. :-(

5:46 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

:-)

I have trouble with vanilla-focused fragrances because they don't smell like real vanilla pods to me. I wore Hypnotic Poison occasionally because it got me SO many compliments, but it gave me a headache so I eventually gave it away. Vanilla is thought of as foody only by association because it's used in so many foods, but being the seed pod of an orchid it's actually more properly regarded as a floral note. I wish I could find a vanilla scent that captures that floral aspect rather than the vanilla+sugar odor I get from so many vanilla perfumes.

Now you've got me wanting to spray on some Anne Pliska and go meditate.

6:54 PM

 
Blogger Hobbes said...

I too know nothing about perfume, but on a hunch I looked up my latest acquisition, Tuscany per Donna, and found that it does indeed have some vanilla in it.

9:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home