my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.20.2006

In Search of Pale Scents

As Seattle opens its arms to real summer (maybe I'll be less romantic about it when I start sweating), I'm seeking sheer scents, translucent fragrance that doesn't weigh you down.

This morning I have five fragrances on different parts of me ... and here's what I'm smelling (note all the fruit! This from someone who ordinarily avoids fruitiness!) (But this is pale, green fruit. That's different):



Jo Malone French Lime Blossom
Not acidic, but very dry herbal quality, with notes of lime blossom, bergamot, tarragon

Victoire Gobin-Daudé Sève Exquise
A dry green chypre with notes of orris, poplar bud, liatrix (also called deertongue) vetiver ... very, very subtle and very beautiful

Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier
Off-center but pleasing lemon/spice quality, with notes of lemon blossoms and leaves, neroli, white honey, Indian tuberose, iris, nutmeg, styrax, musk

Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil
A bit bitter, tart bruised fruit with notes of green mango, lotus flower, aromatic rushes, incense, sycamore

Yosh U4eahh!
The sweetest of those I compared, with notes of pomegranate, pear, cucumber, water lily, aloe vera



Of course, you'd be the judge of what is most appealing to you in the heat. Me? The Sève Exquise is perfect. Perfect! A subtle veil, a mere shadow of scent.

(And the five mixed together? Wonderful. Not an overbearing note in the whole lot.)

8 Comments:

Blogger WinterWheat said...

Actually, that sounds wonderful. Tell me, have you ever found a scent with a lime note (not the blossom, the fruit) that smells like real limes? I haven't. Tried Montale's Aromatic Lime and it smelled like men's cologne, like every other lime scent I've tried. Why can't anyone duplicate the scent of a fresh-cut lime? Do I have to keep carrying limes around with me?

1:11 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

I haven't! Guess you still have your lime-toting days in front of you! xoxo

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

In the heat, no aroma suits me better than ether through a rubber mask.

1:43 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I love Seve Exquise. It smells a lot like a poplar forest in spring to me. Very invigorating.

Laughing at Doug and the ether comment. sorry Doug, you can't go through summer in a state of unconsciousness!

when I was a kid, that's how they put me under for my tonsillectomy-ether and a mask. Can't stand the smell of ether to this day.

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Janey said...

The smell of ether through a rubber mask? How exotic. I'd much prefer Fleurs de Citronnier. Gosh it's been awhile since I've been here. I have to put a stop to that right now. And you've been dedicated.

janey
http://janeysjourney.com

6:12 PM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

mmm, that first one sounds lovely,
but fresh lime is sooo great.
I do love the smell of fresh cut limes though, closest scent I've ever worn that came close was a Froot Loop necklace given to me by Thing One.

12:52 AM

 
Blogger puppytoes said...

i think we've established the fact that, while i adore beautiful scents, i know very little about fragrance (which is one of the MANY things i admire about you, and dear Kyahgirl). that said, i actually have Jo Malone lime/basil/mandarin, which i like a lot, and layer with Jo Malone's grapefruit. hmmmm. i'm like glass of citrus fruit juice! but i like resulting hint of aroma i wind up with--especially in the summer.

the others sound lovely, and on your recommendation, i may have to try them. either that, or pick up a box of Froot Loops next time i'm at the market! xoxo neva

11:36 AM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

I love Fleurs de Citronnier; it was such a pleasant surprise as I really was expecting to hate it. The honey in it is quite prominent on me.

Jardin sur le Nil, on the other hand...I wanted to love it so badly! But alas, it does not love me. :(

2:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home