my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.15.2006

I Pray for Israel

Jim has tried to warn me off this topic. I'm not a political blogger, he says, and that's true.

But look at that satiric map. Look at how small Israel is. Look at how much land is held by those who could have taken the Palestinians in ... who could have taken care of their brethren the way Israel takes care of its own.

And remember how hated Israel is. In some part because it is a sole outpost of western civilization, there in the middle of that sea of Arabs.

All Israel wants, all they have ever wanted, is that tiny strip of land ... and to live in peace. They are not empire-builders.

And remember that the infection of hatred now isn't confined to that region ... those who would bomb Israel out of existence would also like to destroy the United States and everything western civilization has created in terms of culture and advancement of humankind.

I ask all Arabs of peace and intellect to understand that they have a responsibility to themselves, and to all humankind, to contain and control what I hope is the small, violent, evil contingent that kidnaps Israeli soldiers and attempts to hold a world hostage.

6 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

I always wish Jews well. They have always had to look out for themselves. We should all do as well as they do.

Note to Jim: She knows what she's doing.

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

All I can say is 'Thank you!'. A cousin of cousin, who lives in Nahariya, sent me an email yesterday saying katyusha rockets had fallen 150 metres from his home. The women and children have been sent away from the dangerous zone. His aged mother and one of his brothers live in a kibbutz right at the bottom of the hill on the border with Lebanon. I spent a couple of summers there when I was a teenager (just before the Six-Day War in 1967) and again in 1977. It was an idyllic place, but all the men used to have to do rounds at night because of snipers. They have always been in jeopardy. It's worse now, of course, but hardly anyone talks about the constant battering. I've stopped listening to the news: it makes me crazy. The BBC news bulletins are a disgrace. I put a couple of links on my blog for people who want to have a better view of what's going on.

Thanks again, M. xoxo

11:48 AM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

I wish there was nothing political about wanting people to behave decently, there shouldn't be.
Say on, sister.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Oops, sorry about the nonsense in my second sentence (I meant 'a cousin of mine', of course). My blood was (is still) boiling...

12:42 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

The entire situation makes me so sad with grief that I can't articulate my thoughts. I'm just sad without words to convey myself. The watching of recent events unfold takes me back in time to the Clinton era, when I had a wee glimmer of hope that some sort of peace would be achieved.

5:58 PM

 
Blogger goatman said...

Unfortunately, our governemnt is not helping. I don't know who voted for these losers but there has been no help from the US to help the situation. Seems they are more interested in the oil than peace. I wish them a lifetime in hell for their greed.
Peace

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home