my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

12.25.2005

The Menorahs of My Life

I could only find photos of two of the four menorahs of my life. I've found, oddly, that the menorahs I've celebrated Chanukah with over the past twenty-two years have coincincided with who I was becoming. (Yes, I know. Scintillating. Please follow along.)

Menorah One, for which I don't have a photo, was provided to my first husband and me by his father -- it was his mother's menorah, a small, old, old asymmetric brass one, styled like an ancient oil lamp, with the service candle to the left and the other eight candles to the right. It was a little off-balance, but sweet and very traditional. This menorah went back to my ex-husband's family at the end of my marriage, where I'm sure it found a place of honor.

Menorah Two, I call The Struggle. This stone menorah, a sculpture commemorative of the Warsaw Ghetto, was purchased by me -- I cannot tell you why. Maybe it reminded me of my marriage. It is the most depressing piece of Chanukah equipment I have ever seen. Neither I nor the ex- wanted it at the end. I have no idea where it is currently residing.

Menorah Three was purchased right after the divorce. It's a tasteful, art-deco piece that balances gracefully on angular legs ... befitting the new me, a stylin' menorah that I was certain would fit into my avant-garde single lifestyle. *rolls eyes* I still have this menorah. It is more stylish than I am. But I have plans.

And: Menorah Four, the Tree of Life menorah. Appropriately, it is small and unassuming, and its curving branches symbolize the unexpected twists and turns of life. This menorah is wise, if not old. And I love it the best, for its humility, and its grace. Hopefully, I've earned a bit of both of those.

Our latkes won't make their appearance until later during this week of Chanukah. But please accept my warm wishes for a happy Festival of Lights as it begins tonight!

20 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

May your menorah light your way down the path of love and happiness.

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Lulu said...

Happy Hanukkah, M.

4:20 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

That was beautiful..."but I have plans"...yes.

Have a wonderful start on your Holiday week.

4:41 PM

 
Blogger Sar said...

Warm wishes for a bright and happy Hanukkah, Mireille. extra holiday xoxo's. :)

4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Chunukah sweetest M.

I love latkes.

Wish I could dine with you on latkes and mist while sailing the sound on our Cleopatra's barge.

~c

5:06 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I like this post. I particularly like the tree of life one, it's beautiful. May your lights burn on and on... :-)

Love, KM

6:04 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I use the one we always used at home. It's very plain but so familiar; I become a little girl again...

Happy Hanukkah, M! xoxo

6:58 PM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

Happy Hanukkah!

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

So many Jewish friends and never had a latke... that's because they are all hippyish, Buddhist types and vegged out with me on hippy veggie food! Can I drop by and try one? ;-)

I loved hearing about the different menorahs. It was enlightening!

Have a Happy Chanukah Mireille!

2:09 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

It was interesting to hear of the different menorahs from different time frames.

I really like that picture on the right.


Happy Hannukah M.

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

Happy Chanukah, Mireille. I enjoyed reading about the significance of each menorah.

8:36 AM

 
Blogger the many Bs said...

Happy Chanukah! Enjoy the lighting of the candles.

10:18 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

I love the photo on the right. Very nice indeed. Niks and I have attended some nights of Chanukah with friends in the past. It's a nice tradition. We've been to lots of Seders, but I like Chanukah better.

11:00 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy Hannukah, Mireille.

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog today.

So, last evening our religious/festivus dinner at my daughter's house went like this: First a bowed-head-handholding grace given by my son-in-law; next, a reading of the Rabbi's message to his Christian friends and then the Festivus print-out by me....

We ate Kugel (from my over the rainbow Mom's recipe), latkes (from by daughter's Jewish internet connection)and the rest, typical Christmas fare. The menorah I had given my daughter afer her dad and I divorced (funny how that little object somehow was treated similarly to
yours) was displayed as was her lit Christmas tree. All in all, it was quite lovely. And it was there that I had my first epiphany! I announced to the family that I realized that I was not a religious Jew, nor a cultural Jew but a FOOD Jew. I love, love, love all that grease and those heavy eastern European savories.

Anyhow, Happy Chanukah, sweet Mirielle (said with a lot of gutteral "chas").

12:51 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

oh Mama, thank you for visiting and posting. And Happy Chanukah to Us! xoxo

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Logophile said...

Have a great week, M!
mwah!

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Laureline said...

M, I just want to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog this year and how glad I am you have one. It has allowed me to stay in touch with you through this important year for both of us. I admire your taking on this and the paralegal studies as well. If we don't grow, change, stretch our limits, then who are we?
Love and best wishes for another good year,
L

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Sar said...

I'm never quite sure which way to spell it, but I hope your enjoying your festival of lights. :)

4:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. I live in my mom's house since she passed away and we too have the generations of menorahs. Your blogs are a great discovery for me.

11:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home