my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.10.2005

Something Lovely


I have a mind that tends to back into things. I'm not logical, I don't develop linear strategies, straightforward arguments.

When I approach something that is beautiful, that I want to understand, I like to circle my prey.

As much as I can, I walk around it in my mind. Point out the sights to myself. But not as a critical exercise, more of a "Oh! Look at That!"

This is how I feel about Laura's work. (Laurelines, link at right) I try to go to her blog at least every other day, to see what's new, to amaze myself at what she can do.

Having had enough art history to be dangerous, I enjoy her historical references. And I fell in love with this ... not that I can cite its inspiration, only that I love circling around it, looking at the way she treated the folds of fabric, the shadow and light on the gown and wrap, the cleverness of using the pattern to delineate background and figure, using color to fool the eye.

I think her way with women -- ok, the female figure -- is wonderful. It has a graceful, timeless neo-neo-classicism to it. The highest forms of feminine are found in her work.

Thank you for letting me show one of my favorites, Laura.

Today's fragrance: Speaking of straightforward, Jo Malone Red Roses ... seven types of rose, crushed violet leaves, a bit of lemon and spearmint ... this is not a rose for the timid. Beware of liberally applying it before you go to bed. You may have to get up and somehow dilute it before it will let you go to sleep. A word to the wise.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bela said...

I absolutely adore her work too. Her blog is a true delight.

5:48 AM

 
Blogger WinterWheat said...

I love her work too. Very talented.

JM RR smells to me like rose petals dipped in honey. Very lush.

Very very very. Very is my word today.

7:06 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

That is one of my favorites by Laura too. Actually I love all the women she has painted on patterned paper.

Need to try that JM fragrance.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Laureline said...

Well, wow, M! You made my day and week and... ;D. I'm so glad you like my work (there are two new sketches of women on my blog today!) and I appreciate all the supportive comments.
Have been having a down spell recently and this helps a lot. Mwah! You, of course, are a writer of exquisite skill but I repeat myself.

9:05 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I love to sneak around Laura's blog too and admire her gifts! Well done M!

10:24 AM

 
Blogger the many Bs said...

Really pretty, soft woman. I like her.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

That's very cool... I'll have to check her out.

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

I always forget to go to Laura's blog but I couldn't agree more - she's so talented!

1:20 AM

 
Blogger red-queen said...

Laurelines is one of my fav places to visit, too - a little vacation right at my desk. This particular patterened-paper girl reminds me of murals from Pompeii - i don't know if it's the wallpaper association, or something so classical about her face & drapery.

3:44 AM

 
Blogger Janey said...

Laura is one of my favorites too - a good person and very sharing artist.

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home