my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.15.2005

Just When You Thought I Had Some Depth

Woke up to the remnants of Lea St. Barth, a fragrance confection of musc, vanilla and almond ... am now sitting in pink nightgown at new computer keyboard (new because last night I bathed old one in diet Coke and it could not take joke) thinking dark thoughts about Karl Rove (note to self: you must get past this). These thoughts are joined by other dark thoughts about need to diet. Must interrupt dark thoughts to go put on sweats and get coffee.
*pause*
I'm back. Put on more Lea. Now have coffeecup in hand. Take time out to send snarky email reply. Somewhat satisfying. Still, would like a small, cute puppy to kick. Have lots of work. That's good. Get to see Keeter tomorrow. That's good. Jim just turned on FOXnews "just for the weather, just for the weather" but they're blathering on about Harry Potter. I read the first book, saw the movies. They're ok but not life-changing. What is the big deal? Jim walks by with his bowl of oatmeal. Cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon. Why does he use so much cinnamon? Well, it IS his bowl of oatmeal. Bucky has been in an exceptionally good mood lately. Must get to bottom of that. OMG, just looked over at FOXnews on TV, their weatherperson is dressed up as a Hogwarts witch. Oh, for God's sake. Hang on, hang on, Jim can't stand this for long. Surely he will change to CNN any minute. Oh, Karl says Robert Novak told him. Makes perfect sense why the Prince of Darkness cut an early deal with the prosecutor. Doesn't matter, Rove should still be fired and/or lose his security clearance. And be guillotined. OH NO, Jim changed channel to CNN and they are doing rags-to-riches bio of J.K. Rowling. I give up.

12 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

i love your stream of consciousness post, M!

and flip, harry potter? tell me about it

that's precisely why i am leaving the country tomorrow morning

bah humbug

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

yikes

had not considered this possibility: do they like harry potter in france?

oh gawd...

9:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the M I love to need
because the further I read
the less I can suppress

the

enormous

growing

grin

that overtakes my chin


~clearing

9:14 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Closet Harry Potter fan, checking in for slap, just in case you haven't yet found a cute puppy to kick ;-)

11:07 AM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

You couldn't kick us puppies! Come on! You're too kind hearted!

12:05 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

I love that Bucky's hapiness is cause for investigation, heh. I didn't like the HP books because I was not fond of the way J.K Rowling implements the English language. I grate against the way she writes. I do thinks she spins a good tale, though.

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I haven't read any of the HP books and don't intend to ever read them. I "tried" to watch the first film, but had to give up - such tosh!

The good thing about being a grown-up is that one is allowed to read grown-up books. I remember the excitement I felt when I read my first "big" book so why should I regress?

I will keep you company, M, when we're the only two people left who haven't succumbed to the HP hype and collective hysteria.

Note to R: I can slap you if you like. ;-)

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children don't care for the Harry Pot... There are a lot of us who don't, I see. But the author is very successful and I admire her. She made so much out of a life that wasn't very good before she started writing. She has admirable spunk and ingenuity.



~clearing

4:10 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Love this post! Excellent.

I'm a Harry Potter book fan. The movies, not so much.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

I love Eloise, love Harry Potter and I love Cinnamon! I remember reading about Harry Potter in Time magazine before it was released in the states - I was so excited to read it.

It makes me happy that kids still find reading exciting, especially since we rely on electronics more than ever.

I hope that it inspires kids to use their imaginations more and gives them tools to believe that they can be or do anything!

8:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HP's ok but then I'm not 10yrs old. But I am for anything that gets kids to read. And please don't kick any puppies and you shouldn't even think it (bad karma). And Lea St Barth now that's a name to draw a picture to. And my shop is open, have a peak.

3:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. Harry Potter is not worth the hype. I agree with katiedid, her writing's just not up to snuff. When I was a kid I mostly read "adult books" simply because most childrens literature is not worth the paper it's written on (Goosebumps and Babysitters Club anyone?)... that and it's what my parents read to me. While I'm sure not everyone should read Lord of the Flies to their 10 year old kid as a bed time story, it certainly has made me more picky about what I read.

8:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home