my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.25.2005

Every Single Moment ...


Last night we watched -- my third, Jim's must-be tenth time -- a favorite movie,American Beauty. I'm sure everyone who intends to see it has already seen it ... and I hate writing plot synopses, so I'm not going to.

But I did pull some of the movie's best quotes off the internet and here I provide them to you, completely out of context. T
hey still have wonderful meaning:

"And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever ..."

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me ... but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst ...

And then I remember ... to relax, and not try to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life ...

You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. Don't worry ... you will someday."

Today's fragrance continues All Chypres, All the Time Week: Coriandre by Jean Couturier. Notes of this beautifully jarring fragrance include coriander, orange blossom, angelica, rose, geranium, lily, jasmine, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, oakmoss, patchouli. Everything I like, with a twist of the underlying oakmoss. I feel dangerous. *later* In drydown, Coriandre is distinctly reminiscent of Frederic Malle's Une Rose, another favorite. (And Coriandre is approximately one-tenth the price of Une Rose. heh.) *EDIT* Unfortunately, I was wrong. In a hand-to-hand noseoff, there is significant difference between Coriandre and Une Rose. What they may share is a geranium note ... but that's not enough to make them sisters. *SECOND EDIT* But Wait! I'll be darned. In drydown, they become similar again! Try it in your own home!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Good Morning M! :-) I guess I'll have to see this one. I'm probably the last person on this continent. I don't keep up on movies very well.

I get that 'heart bursting' feeling from music... and from Fiori di Capri.
xoxo

8:49 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

I should rewatch this one... I don't think I've seen it for a really long while. That part with the dad and the son driving to school while the dad sits and rags on his son about gay people just makes me well up with tears now that I know how it ends.

And I love all chypres, all the time week - it'll be interesting to read what else you like.

10:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great movie. I remember mostly the visuals, but I was really swept away by the whole thing at the time. (The Coriandre I tried must have been off, because it was so incredibly WEIRD that it coudn't have been intended that way. Could it?)

11:08 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

a fantastic film - i was so excited about it coming out that we booked in advance to see it on its first night in a central london cinema

it did not disappoint

such fab visuals and music too

i too must rewatch it soon!

1:25 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Ouch, I hated it. Sam Mendes is a good theatre director (although, he's the one who brought all those American film stars to the Donmar Warehouse, which, until then, had been a "serious" venue - I should have known), but I thought that film was contrived and fake. Sorry. (Btw, I detest another film that everyone seems to love: Truly Madly Deeply. It did something to my stomach, that one. Yuk!)

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Yes, that was a very good movie. Thanks for the quotations!

5:06 PM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Have nothing of interest to say about the movie, but Coriandre was my signature scent for many years. Don't remember any relationship to Une Rose, but it was so long ago...will have to try it again.

7:57 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Yep, good movie. I saw it once only. I must catch up!

7:59 PM

 
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Just about my favourite movie too. It's not often I wish a movie had been a few hours longer.

The dialogue you quote sounds like the sort of thing that hotboy writes in his blog. He's a buddhist.

4:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home