my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.20.2005

What Janey Said

In continuation of the post Populist Culture? Or It's Just A Blog? I'm printing a comment from Janey of Janey's Journey (link right), who drew/inked/painted the illustration above ...

I print this not just because she agrees with me but because what she says about her art is what I feel about my writing:

I think blogging has much in common with the beginning of the printing press. That event took books and information out of the hands of the rich and gave them to the world. Blogs range from a joy to read (like this - no blushing allowed) to absolute you know what. The range is as disparate as the people who blog.

Blogging for me is very much connected to my art. I wouldn’t be doing what I am now if it weren’t for blogging. I had so much lack of confidence that I hadn’t picked up a pen in 20 years.

Very few people can exist in a vacuum. For me blogging burst that bubble of isolation and gave me an immediate connection. I look at the outsider artists of the past and I marvel at their tenacity. They drew because they had no choice. It didn’t matter that no one saw their work until years after their death.

I wasn’t able to do that. I needed it to be seen. I needed to be able to talk to the world and this is my way to do it. Like Emily D – my letter to the world that never wrote to me.

“Nabobs” who look down at blogging are showing their fear. They are the past, this is the present. Blogging isn’t the future, it’s now.


Today's fragrance: Tiptoeing Through the Chambers of the Moon by Pilar and Lucy with notes of amber and tuberose. A bit sultry with the warmth of the amber and the whiteflower heat of tuberose, it's warming up this sunny but cool Seattle day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Hear hear! Keep writing =)

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Lila said...

That's great! Yeah, blogging does get the creative juices flowing, sort of like journaling.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

I love blogging... I think you're right, it allows more people a "voice". But there are many people who lack access to a computer and knowledge of what a "blog" is and how to create one. Also, lacking the time to do it (i.e.: working more than one job, lacking transportation, needing childcare, etc).

If more of these disenfranchized people get their own blogs - then we will really see something interesting!

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm quoted. I'm a quoted person, I've arrived, will you look at that. And Pilar can stay for as long you she likes!

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Interaction builds confidence and breeds creativity while insecurity breeds arrogance.

11:34 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Hmm... there are lots of blogs that I love reading, but does anyone here really believe that old chestnut, "Everyone has a novel in them."? They don't. Nor do they have a blog.

10:46 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

*damn* another myth exploded. xoxoxo

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

tu as raison, mireille...

(in france, y'see so gotta speaka da french)

[wish me luck uploading this comment]

12:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home