my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

6.26.2005

Cooking As Meditation

As I'm typing this, the smell of the italian sausage i'm preparing for tonight's jambalaya [thank you, Lex Culinaria] is wafting toward me. And I've set out the red pepper, green pepper, italian parsley, onion and tomatoes on the counter. Garlic ... and I need to get the celery.

For some reason, when I was in a back brace and morphine stupor after spine surgery, all I dreamed about was chopping vegetables. It seemed such a healthy, wholesome thing to do. It represented everything I wanted to do but couldn't and was afraid would not be able to.

But today I can ... and it's meditative exercise for me. I have a wonderful knife [Globe; thank you for the recommendation, Bob] and I can't wait to slice through the beautiful peppers, the onion, the celery, the garlic. The sausage, the ham, the chicken. The rice, the tomatoes. Wonderful scents, incredible textures, beautiful colors.

God, I love my life sometimes.

Today's fragrance: Serge Lutens Clair de Musc layered over Les Bains du Marais Musc Blanc. Sweet soft skin smell.

9 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Happiness! How wonderful to see that someone loves their life.

5:52 PM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Mmmmmmm! That sounds good enough to eat!
BTW - My dog, Icy, is my living, breathing metaphor -- the shadow of my soul.

7:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. When I first moved to Tokyo and evaluated my new life at the top of my things I hate about living here was the inablilty to cook. It wasn't due to a lack of facilities- I made sure that my apartment came equiped with a generous kitchen space. I was simply too busy with work to take care of myself in this way.

When I expressed my dismay to other ladies they would just congradualte me for freeing myself from the female responsibility. After all I make 4 times as much as my husband (only because he doens't make much). Why should I cook? But in truth before moving here and before having any sort of money I would sepnd a whole day doing nothing but cooking. I would buy a whole chiken on sale and find three different ways to serve it. I'd make soup stock from cheep bits and spend all day making dimsum. I'm sure my husband enjoyed his custom made lunches toted down to his work, but I enjoyed making them more. Working with food is creative and theraputic and best of all you can eat it!

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Cooking and gardening are both awfully relaxing things you can do when your back feels good. Both make food, too, which is nice for me. Sounds like good cooking.

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

I love cooking, it's so relaxing. Sometimes I pretend I'm the host of a cooking show on TV and put all the ingredients in little glass bowls to toss in. It takes me a long time to wash those little glass bowls but for a brief second it's worth it!

5:50 AM

 
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Spending the day cooking, and feeling good about it! A great gift indeed! Enjoy your chic meal.

6:32 AM

 
Blogger Justine said...

Yuuum! That painting combined with the descriptions...
fridge: here I come!

6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been needing a nice cook. Qualifications include: a great attitude, a natural comedian, and someone who will "talk perfume" with me.

You're hired!!

:o

~clearing

7:50 AM

 
Blogger Yesrie said...

"and I can't wait to slice through the beautiful peppers, the onion, the celery, the garlic. The sausage, the ham, the chicken. The rice"

Okay, hold it right there. {{{ponders beloved cleaver}}} {{{ponders rice}}}

I'll never be as good a cook as you :> Savory words and a wonderful life.

P.S. Is mine gonna be a chic comment toooooo? You've been busy with the template? :-D

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home