my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

1.21.2006

*Augmented* Nostalgia as Blogfodder

Ok, this is Danae, the little Goth in Wiley's NonSequiter cartoon strip, talking to her ancient relative, a ghost. Who drinks a lot. They're talking about blogs.

Today's fragrance: what's left of the sweet cedar-y-ness of 10 Corso Como until I put something on top of it. I have a weird craving for something with evening-out glamour like SL Datura Noir. Which would totally work against my in-sweatpants-studying-legal-research ambiance ... which is maybe why I need it. addendum: notes of Datura Noir per bela's notepad: white Datura, tonka bean, musk, bitter almond, tuberose, heliotrope, myrrh, apricot, coconut, Chinese osmanthus, mandarin peel, lemon blossom, vanilla. With all the other great notes, I'm willing to ignore the coconut.

Best Last Words Department:
Gertrude Stein (1874-1946)
"What is the question?"
An American writer famous for her experimental prose, Ms. Stein lived most of her life in Paris with her companion Alice B. Toklas. When Stein was dying of cancer, she turned to Ms.Toklas and whispered, "What is the answer?" No response. Stein nodded and spoke the words above.

6 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Interesting conversation that.

I'm pondering now.

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I envy people whose lives are so exciting and full of new experiences that they don't have to resort to nostalgia. What would I do without my memories?

Gertrude Stein and a Companion - that was a good play, that. With Miriam Margolyes.

10:20 AM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I like a bit of both...but then I can feel nostalgic about an experience five minute past.

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I hope when I go I'm making fun of myself. That's class.

11:16 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Just realized Datura Noir contained white datura (I should read my MUA notepad more often, LOL!). Serge's little joke, calling the scent Datura Noir. Wonder if that's what influenced all the other perfumers who named their fragrances XXXX Noir (in complete disregard of whether XXXX is feminine or masculine).

9:03 AM

 
Blogger Annieytown said...

Hi M!
I hope the rain has let up a bit.
I love Datura Noir and have started my 2nd bottle.
Did you read the news about Fumerie Turque on NST? It is coming to the exports in 2006! I am in bliss. One of my new years wishes is coming true!!!
Have a great sunday M!

9:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home