my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.05.2005

Seems Like Only Yesterday

We watched a PBS special on Bob Dylan that we'd taped ... and I've been carrying around the music for three days now. Thrown back to a time when I still thought there existed a rarified, counterculture few who really knew what was going on. Little hippie chick in my overalls with the embroidered rainbow, sitting in a coffeehouse, listening to friends butcher music like this:

Seems like only yesterday
I left my mind behind
Down in the Gypsy Cafe
With a friend of a friend of mine
She sat with a baby heavy on her knee
Yet spoke of life most free from slavery
With eyes that showed no trace of misery
A phrase in connection first with she I heard
That love is just a four-letter word

Outside a rambling store-front window
Cats meowed to the break of day
Me, I kept my mouth shut, too
To you I had no words to say
My experience was limited and underfed
You were talking while I hid
To the one who was the father of your kid
You probably didn't think I did, but I heard
You say that love is just a four-letter word

I said goodbye unnoticed
Pushed towards things in my own games
Drifting in and out of lifetimes
Unmentionable by name
Searching for my double, looking for
Complete evaporation to the core
Though I tried and failed at finding any door
I must have thought that there was nothing more
Absurd than that love is just a four-letter word

Though I never knew just what you meant
When you were speaking to your man
I can only think in terms of me
And now I understand
After waking enough times to think I see
The Holy Kiss that's supposed to last eternity
Blow up in smoke, its destiny
Falls on strangers, travels free
Yes, I know now, traps are only set by me
And I do not really need to be
Assured that love is just a four-letter word


Today's Fragrance: Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan with notes of oregano, bay leaf, coriander, myrtle, angelica, patchouli leaves, amber, cistus labdanum, styrax, tolu balsam, benzoin, sandalwood, vanilla, musk. I'm exhausted by the notes. The fragrance, however, is a warming, herbaceous (love that word) amber -- one of my favorite scents.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Do you want more Ambre Sultan? I have spare :-)
You smell great.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Oh no, more song lyrics I never listened to at the time! I taped the second half of that film (missed the first part, drat). Must watch it.

Love Ambre Sultan. :-)

9:28 AM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

A few weeks ago I noticed that there was a documentary style movie about Bob Dylan on PBS, meant to go back to it and then totally forgot. Not really familiar with him or his music... but that voice of his is unmistakable..

That fragrance sounds wonderful. mmmmmm.... nice and warm.

12:08 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

I watched the special on Dylan. It was great.

I actually saw Dylan in concert once. It was a thrill. The man is a poet. Can't sing worth a darn, but who cares?

2:32 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

Weirdly the most compelling part of that documentary was any time Joan Baez was being interviewed. I'm really not a fan of hers, but her words were so honest and insightful. She's not a musical fave of mine, but wow, what a human being.

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, I was at the Dylan concert with TLP and sisters... Dylan never spoke to the crowd once, just played and sang. I'm not sure he knew where he was.

He was/is a poet, though.

8:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home