my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

9.05.2005

In the Abstract

When I wear fragrance, I let my mind go -- I can and do find notes identified by someone else, but to experience scent, I let go of my thoughts.

Free associate.

I love perfume for that. As a meditative state.

You can go forward or backward ... either recognition of prior experience you associate with the scent or, if you're very aware of what surrounds you now, it will be the foundation of a scent memory to come.

Today's fragrance: Fleurs d'Oranger, is a scent I associate with India. It's the cumin and my association of that spice with curries, with teeming crowds, with the painful beauty of a culture that predates mine by millenia.

If this scent can be color, it is the turquoise and magenta of a sari I once received as a gift. Vivid colors dancing slowly, yards of fabric gracefully unwinding, even as scent wafts through my awareness, moving gently around my wrists and shoulders.

The cumin always comes to me first, even before the sweet florality of orange blossom, white jasmine, Indian tuberose (ah), white rose.

Citrus peel leavens the density of the orange blossom, maybe makes it a little less sweet. I take it on faith that hibiscus seed and nutmeg have been added, because I don't recognize them.

But always first, and recurring through the life of the scent, is cumin. A sweet/sour smell so similar to that of our bodies. Scent reminder of the never completely masked mortal state.

Serge Lutens' Fleurs d'Oranger

17 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

You absolutely do find the most beautiful images to post.
*bowing*

12:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to shniff the new l'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger and I hope I like it as much as you like this one. There is nothing quite like the perfumed meditative state ;D. Beauitful pic.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

That is indeed a beautiful image. Gorgeous.

And I love your words on this scent. It, too, sounds gorgeous.

yunap - a suggestion uttered at me in the afternoons when I did not drink any coffee in the morning and I happen to be wearing my bitchypants.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

I wish Fleurs d'Oranger smelled better to me that it does.

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Hey, it's my HG you're talking about!

Oh, that stupid cumin that I can't smell... and I've been wearing Fleurs d'Oranger for nearly four years! I only got a brief whiff of it when I sprayed my hairdrier with it and it got warmed up. Since then, nada!

I don't even like orange blossom! I can't stand any other scents with that note. To me the SL smells of jasmine and tuberose and Earl Grey tea, for some reason. I adore it.

Lots of cumin?! I wish. LOL!

xeuzruz: a new kind of French rose

4:13 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

thanks for the comments! I am the Queen of google images, TLP. And always a bit skittish about my perfume reviews *bows before the mistresses* ... and wish I got some of the earl grey tea scent to SL FdO ... think that Serge planted some bergamot just in your bottle, b?

4:25 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Such a beautiful image and it complements FdO perfectly. How did you do it? It really captures the over-the-top extravagent fabulous beauty of that scent. Amazing. :-)

I never get the cumin from it either, but I think it must save it from being overly sweet. It's a fine line between sickening and delightful. LOL.

5:02 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

You make me wish I had a better sense of smell.

5:11 PM

 
Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said...

Your love of fragrance is blasphemous -- you've made an IDOL of it! FILTH!

6:22 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

awww, thanks, LBOS! You old sweetie. xoxo

6:43 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

oh oh...you've upset LBOS with your wanton descriptions!

Well, I love it. It all works together seamlessly, the imagery, your description about association is so true. I too wish I had a better nose...I'm so blase. AND I just remembered that Avrile needs to bring over the L'Artisan tester and info on the new ftagrance! *sigh*

7:47 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

oh yes! and tell us what it's like! xoxo

8:24 PM

 
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Sniff, sniff.

9:37 PM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

**inhales deeply (unlike mr clinton)**

which reminds me: must chase my order for a serge scent (as recommended by you fine perfume-lovrs)

i am very excited...will this kill off my lifelong chanel no.5 habit??

will let you know...

UC
x

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Urban Chick said...

twas me who deleted the comment as i didn't think you needed to hear what i had to say twice (you may beg to differ, of course)

bit of a daft thing to do, as i am now leaving another comment

sorreeeeee!

12:32 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I think my bottle contains "the idea" of bergamot and yours contains "the idea" of cumin. LOL!

6:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home