my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

5.18.2005

Fleurs de Citronnier, er d'Oranger


In the same vein as the Mercer Island matron who buys art to match her sofa, I needed to review a fragrance that goes with the painting I had posted. (Not deeply aesthetic but hey, that's me.)

Lemon was the question ... and Serge Lutens' Fleurs de Citronnier, launched March 2004, is the answer.

What I like about Serge: he plays against type. I placed the fragrance on my skin and drew a deep breath in ...

What I expect from the name: green citrusy happy smell.

What I get: deep golden, with a mysterious sense of "what IS that"?

Notes are variously listed as lemon blossom, lemon tree, lemon leaves, neroli essence, white honey, tuberose, iris, styrax (balsamic resin? benzoin?), musc, [jasmine, roses -- these I don't believe] and spices, specifically nutmeg.

Reviews quote the Master's inspiration as a Moroccan garden and I'm willing to go with that. A sultry Mideast garden in late afternoon. The fragrance gives off a heat; this is citrus basking in intense warmth.

Not bright, deep. Not green, gold. Not happy, moody -- a bit played out. Jaded. Or at least very experienced.

And today I am all about moody. It's perfect.

Addendum: the Citronnier didn't quite do it for me after all. So I splashed on some Fleurs d'Oranger. Even more heat and spice in this orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose fragrance: much better. I don't mind the cumin on me ... it's soft and peppery rather than stinky. A better choice. Sorry the painting didn't match.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes..it's golden and rich and dense, not light. There's a musky warmth... there's an orchard growing on the hair follicle... there's a syrupy sweet summer drink there too. I couldn't claim it as a frequent scent to wear. It's too heady for me. But on the right day it makes me warm-happy like a soft big sweater worn while crossing the chilly grey bay (to Mercer Island)... O:

~clearing

8:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah that's right...it's the lake, not the bay. How sad that I can't remember these childhood haunts M. Missing my long ago home today.

~c

8:48 AM

 
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Yum, you smell good today ;-)

12:38 PM

 
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I just have to say, M, that you should be in the field of visual arts. You have the most amazing eye for beauty and detail. I love your pictures.

And I am so envious that you figured out how to post them on your blog! I cannot even get anything to work. The tedium of daily life!!! Urg.

12:46 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

B -- you're too busy arranging marriages to post photos anyway! LOLOLOL

1:07 PM

 
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

LOL, M!

Seems I cannot arrange a marriage (although I would love to do so) nor post a photo! Somehow, I can't figure out how to download them. And arranging marriages is not any eaiser, I might add.

7:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home