my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

9.22.2005

Asthma, Motown and the Community of the Awake

I know I share insomnia with many of my fellow-bloggers ... and what a treat it is to be so tired but so overstimulated that you fall asleep right after dinner, drag yourself to bed only to find yourself staring at the black ceiling three hours later ... with a bout of asthma and Motown songs doing the cancan in your head.

I went to high school in Ann Arbor, Michigan, some miles west of the Motor City. It was the sixties, right before the riots and white kids still went Woodwarding, cruising down that main drag into the city, trying to sneak into a club called The Chessmate. Memories of the radio blaring the Supremes, the Four Tops, the Spinners ... so much great music.

That music in my head -- and not enough oxygen -- keeps me awake this early morning. So, fellow insomniacs, here's a blast from the past, one of my favorite songs -- not from the best of Motown, but from (little known fact:) Lesley Gore, who had one album for Motown and whose early records were produced by Quincy Jones. An earworm, from me to you (this one goes out to you, Keeter):

You don't own me, I'm not just one of your many toys
You don't own me, don't say I can't go with other boys

And don't tell me what to do
And don't tell me what to say
And please, when I go out with you
Don't put me on display, 'cause

You don't own me, don't try to change me in any way
You don't own me, don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay

Oh, I don't tell you what to say
I don't tell you what to do
So just let me be myself
That's all I ask of you

The angst, the angst!


It's Morning Now ... and today's fragrance: Agent Provocateur with notes of Morroccan rose, Indian saffron, Egyptian jasmin, and French magnolia oil, base notes of vetivert, amber, and musk. You begin to see a pattern with me, don't you? A mix of roses and jasmine with something like saffron and/or vetiver to cut the sweetness. I like that asymmetry, that off-balancedness of it all. Unexpected counterpoints.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me?! *runs out to buy Motown CliffsNotes*

7:19 AM

 
Blogger Kate said...

Hey M! I have this same syndrome. I wake up almost every night somewhere between 2-5 am. Then I'm up for about an hour. Then I read with a flashlight, or get on the computer. Then I get sleepy and go back to bed. I think I do it because it's the ONLY time I'm alone.

I don't like to be told what to do either! :-)

11:15 AM

 
Blogger Tania said...

There is a *fantastic* cover of this song on Rasputina's album "Frustration Plantation."

(Rasputina is an acquired taste, though. They're a trio of lady cellists who wear Victorian underwear onstage and attract a goth crowd.)

I too have the asthma and the insomnia. Air and sleep—is it so much to ask?

12:19 PM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Sorry about your lack of O2 M. take care,
xoxo
Laura

12:29 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

I know exactly what you mean, M. So irritating. I'm sorry you have asthma too. Either of those two things would be more than enough to contend with. xoxo

4:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know that song? How does it go? Can you hum the tune for me?

4:38 PM

 
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Insomnia, don't even talk to me about that. Too bad you are way over there on the West Coast or we could keep each other company while we are wide awake.

I love Motown always did always will. My dad used to run his reel to reel tape deck after work and on the weekends while mixing up a cocktail, and I was the only little kid in class that used to know the words to Al Green, Dion Warwick and Aretha. That was the 70s and all of the rest of the kids only knew about Michael Jackson. Nothing can compare to those classics.

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Yup. I feel your pain. What a great picture, love that hair!

6:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home