my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

10.27.2005

Not As Tough As She Once Was, Either

In the middle of the first term of school, and I'm assessing how I'm doing with the dealing-with-humans part of it all: that's always the tough part, I think. Figuring out the "emotional intelligence" of your work environment. And I think I'm doing ok.

I was afraid that the five year hiatus -- my last job as a copywriter ended December 31, 2000 -- and the dead zone, hate-this-so-much trauma I associated with that work's close interaction (read: jockeying for position) would have left me skinless, non-coping, unable to deal, once I was reimmersed. (Does that make any sense?)

But it's ok. I'm still pretty self-conscious about how I come off to people -- but I get along. I'm amazed at how much I play the entertainer, though. I wasn't like that before. I was -- let's be truthful -- kind of brittle and nasty. I'd like to say the work demanded it -- but I really think it was a personality deficit. I was sick and tired of what I was doing and it showed.

Now ... not so much. I love what I'm learning. And I'm sure an actual workplace will be tougher than the learning environment. But I've made a good start at reentry. It's going to be ok.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous feats of adaptation. So happy to hear about it.

XXXx
~c

6:45 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

You? Brittle and nasty? I can't think that's true. If so, you sure have changed! You're as sweet as they come.

7:07 PM

 
Blogger Annieytown said...

Everything is going to be better than ok! There are no doubts in my mind.
)))M(((

2:20 AM

 
Blogger Bela said...

Didn't we all tell you you'd be fine? :-)

4:47 AM

 
Blogger Laureline said...

I'm so happy for you, M. And isn't it so wonderful to look back at your life and see you've evolved? That is the point, I know, but so many fail at it. Have a great weekend, sweet M.

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I'm so glad to hear this. I've been wondering about this aspect of school.

((((((((((M)))))))))))))))

7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home