my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

8.05.2005

They Also Serve ...

As of the end of July, 41 U.S. women soldiers have died in Iraqi combat. That's more than the number of female soldiers killed in Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm combined.

The loss of women especially touches me because ... I'm a woman. And I think of women most often being the social cohesion factor, and I think of parents who won't be cared for, husbands left alone, children who won't know who their mother was.

And then I think about our women soldiers dying while the Iraqi constitutional process considers limiting women's rights in Iraq.

Today's fragrance: Parfums DelRae Début with notes of bergamot, lime, green leaves, lily of the valley and ylang ylang. Bottom notes are vetiver, sandalwood and musk. If there can be a light tropical fragrance, this is it. What would be heavy sweetness is artfully cut with pale citrus ... and I love the sheer drydown (I guess I'm more of a vetiver fan than I thought).

For a great overview of rose perfumes (including all the usual and some of the unusual suspects), please check out Seldom Nice Nowadays (link right)

6 Comments:

Blogger mireille said...

N, I added that copy to the text ... because people need to see it. xoxoxo

8:13 AM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

To me it is a national and private tragedy any time a soldier is killed. As a mother of two boys, with both female and male family members serving in the military, I would be equally diswrought over any of them passing.

The limiting of women's rights seems, sigh, in some ways inevitable. Perhaps I am a pessimist, though.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Bela said...

When I was a child my parents wanted to emigrate to Israel. I was 19 in 1967. I probably would have died in the 6-Day War and would probably have been happy to. In some parts of the world, women have always fought for their countries.

This is different, of course, those women soldiers are fighting to help establish a regime that will deny rights to other women.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger TLP said...

I didn't know about all the women who had died, on our side, in this war. But so many, many women in the country that we are "helping" have died, and I knew about them of course.

The reason I appreciate this post so much is that most people think of MEN when they honor our service people. There is no national monument for women soldiers, to my knowledge. I hope that I am wrong about that.

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Lila said...

Good for you! Great post. Yeah, people do seem to STILL talk about "our boys" and forget about "our girls". This gets my goat, only partly 'cause I'm a veteran myself!

Tan Lucy Pez, I believe they ARE building a national monument to honor women in the military. They tried to get me to donate to it years ago...

4:53 PM

 
Blogger Sand said...

Everyone wrote exactly how I feel. It's so hard living in a military town, I can't even imagine what the families go through.

12:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home