my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

4.05.2005

Remembrance of Scents Past


Fragrance can be a memory of who you were.

Calandre by Paco Rabanne certainly is that for me. Just now, as I oversprayed to try to catch all the notes as I write about the fragrance, I find me back in the self I once inhabited.

I love this fragrance and it has nothing to do with its notes. I love it for who and what it reminds me of. How much of that do I want to share with you? Not much.

I keep it close to me -- as Calandre stays close to your skin. From the initial contradictorily metallic floral right down to the powdery fade of drydown.

Notes of this floral aldehydic include greens and bergamot, rose, geranium, sandalwood and musk. Aldehydicphobes beware ... it is significant in the scent's signature metallic quality.

Calandre is a fairly seamless composition, with the green, floral and woods notes generating a cohesively soft sillage apparent only in close proximity.

Scent memory helps one relive the most beloved parts of one's life. Calandre is a door open to that time that was.

2 Comments:

Blogger NowSmellThis said...

There is a nice chapter in Michael Edwards' Perfume Lengends on Calandre, and I've been meaning to try it. Thanks for the nice post!

5:43 AM

 
Blogger mireille said...

I need to find the Michael Edwards book ... and thank you.

7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home