my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

4.17.2005

Love Poem


In a corner of my garden grows a plant.
Once an overgrown profusion of green:
spade-shaped leaves, an ivy guarded by thorns.

I never walked too close, afraid
of tendrils capturing my ankle,
dragging me into itself –

then, never free, forever lost in that barbed lattice.

Strange plant.
On occasion, and only at night,
it burst into bloom.

Waxy, white petals,
surrounding a flower cup,
gleaming in the dark.

Each floral chalice
holding drops of fluid,
heavy with unbearably sweet, hot scent.

For a season, this plant tangled around my heart.
And then, within life’s pattern,
died back.

I work in my garden,
potting and pulling

spent flowers off vines.

Glancing at times
to the place where that plant once thrived.
But nothing grew there.

Until today.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home