my occasional musings on life, love, art, perfume ... what else is there?

7.29.2007

Purple Potato Eaters

So we are proud supporters of organic, locally grown food.

Every Saturday morning, we trundle down to the University District farmers market where we pick up our CSA share (we support a particular farm by paying in
advance for produce we receive each week during the summer).

And it helps our diet, I think. When I have the energy to prepare all the vegetables in the bag.

For instance, this week I need to find a way to get us to eat purple potatoes.

It doesn't sound like it should be that hard, but for some reason I have an aversion to blue food.

But, by God, I have two pounds of purple potatoes and they're going to get eaten. I'm thinking potato salad. I'm just hoping the blue in the potatoes doesn't turn the boiled eggs green.

Shades of Dr. Seuss. Literally.

8 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Could you cut them into little bitty pieces, sprinkle them with sugar, and pretend that they're blueberries? You have to like blueberries.

I think they'd look pretty as mashed potatoes.

Okay, the truth is I'd take them to a soup kitchen. They'd add them to whatever soup they were feeding folks that day, and all would be well.

12:01 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

*ding*ding*ding* TLP, that's the winner. xoxo

12:04 PM

 
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

you can turn any food blue by adding those potatoes, I think this is your chance to be poetic in the kitchen. what about a potatoe cake?

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I happen to grow these things and they make delicious mashed potatoes. Try it. Trust me. Besides, the mashed potatoes come out heliotrope and thats just Mireille all the way down.

6:05 AM

 
Blogger TLP said...

Heliotrope? Not sure, but I think you've just been insulted.

7:45 AM

 
Blogger Doug The Una said...

TLP, that depends on what heliotrope means. I'm thinking of a bluer version of this very blog.

1:36 PM

 
Blogger mireille said...

heh. blue version. heh. xoxo

6:47 PM

 
Blogger A Novelist said...

I actually did a post on this awhile back on my blog...when I visited home I had a picture of me with my "purple potatoes!" I miss Seattle.....

9:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home